Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Swearing in front of kids

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM
  • 57 Replies

I have a really big pet peeve. I cringe when I hear someone swearing in front of children.

Today I took DD to see a movie. While in the mall, I ran into an old friend. He's 36. I'm 31. We've been friends since we were teens in high school. He has an 8-year-old daughter. My daughter just turned 4.

And every few damn words out of his mouth was a swear word! Shit and ass and damnit, usually, but come on, man! Quick swearing in front of my kid.

He's a really good guy. If he wasn't, I wouldn't be friends with him, but you would think as a dad now, he'd not swear in front of a child.

Do you swear in front of your kids? Is it more normalized now? I see/hear a lot of people do it when I'm out in public, and I always cringe, but sometimes I wonder if I'm just being too sensitive. 

slightlyperfect

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't swear at all, so not in front of our kids either.  Neither do any of our friends.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

SwtSnowflake2
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM
We do not swear in front of our kids and find it rude when people do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM

How do you tell them to knock it off?

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

We do not swear in front of our kids and find it rude when people do it.

slightlyperfect

bec94
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
When dh slips up and does both my 3&5 yr olds give him the business. They do not put up with it. Our Xbox friends we game with heard dh getting the business the other day from the 3 yr old. The laughed and cracked up when dh put the headset on her after telling her all his friends use bad words. She gave them all a good talking too :-)
bec94
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Oh and when dh games the sound played in the headset, not the tv. The girls don't hear anything except daddy.
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM
5 moms liked this

We do. Our kids are 5 and 10 and they both know that there are grown up words that aren't meant for kids to hear. We don't necessarily swear like sailors or anything, and we are extra careful around other kids. But when I'm in my home I'll do what I like. 

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM
We don't and don't have friends that do. I'd just do a nervous laugh and say "little ears..."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdgd21
by Diana on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I have the same pet peeve, and I NEVER do.
sdgd21
by Diana on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Same here, and when I did, i did not do it in front of children or the elderly. 

Quoting jillbailey26:

We don't swear at all, so not in front of our kids either.  Neither do any of our friends.  

sdgd21
by Diana on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM

you know I love that other mom's will answer here, I wonder if people can control themselves at work or on front of the Queen ;-) (lol), why can't they control themselves in front of their children? No judgement, I just wonder how that works?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN