Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I have a really big pet peeve. I cringe when I hear someone swearing in front of children.

Today I took DD to see a movie. While in the mall, I ran into an old friend. He's 36. I'm 31. We've been friends since we were teens in high school. He has an 8-year-old daughter. My daughter just turned 4.

And every few damn words out of his mouth was a swear word! Shit and ass and damnit, usually, but come on, man! Quick swearing in front of my kid.

He's a really good guy. If he wasn't, I wouldn't be friends with him, but you would think as a dad now, he'd not swear in front of a child.

Do you swear in front of your kids? Is it more normalized now? I see/hear a lot of people do it when I'm out in public, and I always cringe, but sometimes I wonder if I'm just being too sensitive. 

slightlyperfect

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I have a relative who drops the f bombs, too. That's for DH to deal with, though, since it's his side.

But when DD is away or not around, I am swearing up a fucken storm. One night DH and I got back from dropping her off at my parents', and like a teen, I ran into the house, started jumping, and yelling "fuck shit damn cunt asshooooooole!" Feels good to get it out.

But to just drop a swear word in front of a child--knowingly--like your stepdad did... I mean, Why? Why the fuck do that? "They can't say it"??? No shit, and then you shouldn't either in their presence. For fuck's sake, you're one of their role models. I wish a relative on DH's side would get that.

Theyll learn it eventually. You really want to be the one they learn it from?

Quoting Marimaru:

Most of the people I know who swear in front of kids also swear at work, but they aren't customer facing, lol.

My whole family is perfectly willing to swear in front of the kids.  My 2 kids, and each of my sister's (2 sisters) 2 kids (6 kids total).  I gave my stepdad a look when he dropped an f-bomb in front of my daugher before she was talking and he says "What?  They can't say it."  I just said "maybe not, but they hear everything, you never know when it'll pop out."  Other than that I don't say anything.  I'm okay teaching my kids that other people say words we don't say.

I do swear when I am not around my kids, but the filter goes on when they're around.  

My husband's family is highly religious, so it's not an issue there.

Quoting sdgd21:

you know I love that other mom's will answer here, I wonder if people can control themselves at work or on front of the Queen ;-) (lol), why can't they control themselves in front of their children? No judgement, I just wonder how that works?

slightlyperfect

Pink.Frosting
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

No, I don't do it and I don't like it.  It upsets me when I hear others do it.

mommybug77
by Crystal on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Yeah we do.
mommybug77
by Crystal on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting sdgd21:

you know I love that other mom's will answer here, I wonder if people can control themselves at work or on front of the Queen ;-) (lol), why can't they control themselves in front of their children? No judgement, I just wonder how that works?

I'm a sahm. I don't have to worry about cussing at work. Who says we feel the need to control themselves in front of our kids. I think my kids could hear worse things than curse words.
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

But why do you want them to hear swear words coming from their parents' mouths? And I'm not trying to be a judgmental blowhard. I really want to know your reasons. I'm trying to figure out whether I am being oversensitive.

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting sdgd21:

I'm a sahm. I don't have to worry about cussing at work. Who says we feel the need to control themselves in front of our kids. I think my kids could hear worse things than curse words.

slightlyperfect

mommybug77
by Crystal on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

we don't make it into a huge deal. There are things parents say to kids all the time I don't agree with.
AleaKat
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
All the time! We talk like sailors in our house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

IDK. I just see parents as models, and language is so important to me. To me, swearing is a huge deal. I have a standard I've set for myself, and swearing in front of my child violates that standard. I have a tough time understanding how to others it's not a big deal. And I want to understand why it's not a big deal.

I agree, though. There are a lot of things I've heard parents say I don't agree with, especially in front of children. I just don't get how some can not consider swearing in that category.

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

we don't make it into a huge deal. There are things parents say to kids all the time I don't agree with.

slightlyperfect

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Swearing is my stress reliever and I do it often. I've never had a problem with my kids repeating me and they know it's not appropriate for them to use certain words.

mommybug77
by Crystal on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

we don't see things the same way and that's fine. I worry about bigger things at the end of the day than curse words. If the worst things my girls hear/see us do is curse than I'm satisfied.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)