Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

how to ween off bedtime baba?????

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM
  • 20 Replies
Was curious if any of u had any tips on weening off bedtime baba? My son has a baba for both naps and bedtime. I know at some point he's gonna have to stop. He's 14/15 mo old (1-5-13 he'll be exactly 15 mo). In the past month or so, for the most part he will drink a full bottle (cuddled with daddy or mommy) yet still be wide awake. He'll ask for more so we get more. Sometimes he'll only drink half an ounce, other times it's another full bottle. Btw it's milk. There was one night last week he took water, drinking about 3oz and fell asleep (in crib). Oh sorry, when he finishes first full bottle and is still awake he is put in his crib unless he cries bloody murder. Tonight, the water worked again. He cried, but not too bad and maybe drank half an oz total in his personal vendetta with the bottle for not having milk in it the 2nd round.

Hope this post made sense. I'm tired but having horrible back pain that is keeping me up and won't go assay, so my thought process may not be meaningful or organized (sorry in advance).

Any help appreciated. Yes, this is my first and only child, if you are wondering.

Take Care,
Ro
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Water only in ANY bottle given in a crib.  Sleeping with a bottle of juice/milk/etc is bad for the child's teeth.

FIREFOX1336
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM
When we wanted to break the habit we gave only water then started cutting back by ounce. But we also got rid of bottles before a year old so teu only had dippy cups in bed and we ha them completely broke of it by 18 months
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I have done everything cool turkey with all six of my children.
ILOVELUCY7280
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM
I understand that. The purpose of my post was to ask how to ween him off.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Water only in ANY bottle given in a crib.  Sleeping with a bottle of juice/milk/etc is bad for the child's teeth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILOVELUCY7280
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Tried to seen him off bottles before 1. Cannot find a sippy cup he's willing to take. Every one we've found is torture for him. Have been trying since he was 7mo old.

Did u give water cold turkey or water down milk til bottle, excuse me sippy cup, was all water and then cut back on ounces? Does that question mqke sense?

Quoting FIREFOX1336:

When we wanted to break the habit we gave only water then started cutting back by ounce. But we also got rid of bottles before a year old so teu only had dippy cups in bed and we ha them completely broke of it by 18 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Transition him to a regular chip if he won't take a sippy cup. He'll drink eventually. He won't dehydrate himself.
ILOVELUCY7280
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM
So, are you suggesting just at bed time go strictly no bottle, put in bed, and hope he falls asleep?

Quoting Dabberdoo:

I have done everything cool turkey with all six of my children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILOVELUCY7280
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Regular chip? What's that? Oh wait.... cup? Sorry i know about typos and stupid auto corrects. Is that what you mean or is there something i've missed?

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Transition him to a regular chip if he won't take a sippy cup. He'll drink eventually. He won't dehydrate himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momwithagap
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

If you find something that works let me know. My son is almost 16 months. He drinks water from a cup with no problem. I have been trying numerous sippy cups with milk and he wants nothing to do with it. His doc said to skip 1 bottle per day and replace it with the sippy cup and he will eventually give in. Well that has yet to happen.

sorry I know this is of no help to you just simply saying your not alone. Each child does their own thing in their own time.

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Yes, cup. And, yes, stop giving him a bottle altogether. I promise he will fall asleep eventually. Its just how stubborn do YOU want to be and how important is it to you to get rid of the bottle. Party of our job as a parent is to do what is best for our children whether they like it or not. If you feel like this is very important, then stand your ground no matter what. If it isn't that important to you, then don't stress about it and do whatever is most comfortable for both of you. You are the only one who knows what is best for your family. But sometimes you just have to be more stubborn than your child and sometimes that is very difficult.

Quoting ILOVELUCY7280:

Regular chip? What's that? Oh wait.... cup? Sorry i know about typos and stupid auto corrects. Is that what you mean or is there something i've missed?

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)