Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

great jury duty

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM
  • 22 Replies
Just got the summons. Between the 2 youngest, no way I can swing it. I'd have to do public transportation. I don't think I'd make it after I drop my kindergartener off at school. I'd have to take my toddler and then figure out how to pick my daughter back up at noon. Yeah, don't think they'd be happy at the courthouse.
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I've been summoned twice since I turned 18. Both times were for 6 week periods but I only had to go in once in those 12 weeks. We just had a number that you called every night to see if your name was on the list of people that had to go in or not. You didn't actually have to go in unless your name was on the automated list. 

mommybug77
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Quoting ChancesMommy07:

I've been summoned twice since I turned 18. Both times were for 6 week periods but I only had to go in once in those 12 weeks. We just had a number that you called every night to see if your name was on the list of people that had to go in or not. You didn't actually have to go in unless your name was on the automated list. 

it says to call the day before. The problem is if expected to go in then everything mentioned comes into play. Actually since I am in Chicago if it gets colder here no way am I traveling all that way in the cold with a toddler.
ChancesMommy07
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

it says to call the day before. The problem is if expected to go in then everything mentioned comes into play. Actually since I am in Chicago if it gets colder here no way am I traveling all that way in the cold with a toddler.

Well good luck. I know around here there are very few things the judge will give exemptions for. My best friend tried to get an exemption because she was a single mom and didn't get it. They just told her to start arranging for child care just in case.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Do you have a way of contacting court to request to be excused do to situation? I know here in ca I can send in reason I cant serve and they excuse you usually for 12 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Quoting ChancesMommy07:

that's the thing is I don't have others watch my kids. Also my toddler would never stay with someone especially for hours on end. My husband does not get sick or personal days at all. I have a hard enough time getting him to take off work for his diabetes. Me having jury duty would not be excused for him to be home. I'd show up with my toddler regardless of what they say since there is no choice.
mommybug77
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Quoting conniejo75:

Do you have a way of contacting court to request to be excused do to situation? I know here in ca I can send in reason I cant serve and they excuse you usually for 12 months.

I'm going to have to write in. They'll really be ticked if they deny it because my 22 month old will be with me if I go in.
ChancesMommy07
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

that's the thing is I don't have others watch my kids. Also my toddler would never stay with someone especially for hours on end. My husband does not get sick or personal days at all. I have a hard enough time getting him to take off work for his diabetes. Me having jury duty would not be excused for him to be home. I'd show up with my toddler regardless of what they say since there is no choice.

Just make sure you write it all out and the reasons why you can't arrange any kind of childcare and then hope you get a judge that is sympathetic. We had a judge here years ago that would give exemptions for mothers or fathers with no back up plans but the one that is there now does not. My mom got an exemption because she is disabled but she had to get stuff from pretty much every one of her Dr's to get her exemption. I hope it works out for you.

Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM
You might be able to get excused because you have young children. I got excused a few years ago for that. I emailed the whoever it was that was in charge of it and got a response almost immediately saying I was excused. Is there an email address on the notice?
mommybug77
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Quoting Bethsunshine:

You might be able to get excused because you have young children. I got excused a few years ago for that. I emailed the whoever it was that was in charge of it and got a response almost immediately saying I was excused. Is there an email address on the notice?

I wish. It says you must mail it in. My one child is also in kindergarten for 4 hours from 8-12 which means I'd have no way to get her or the older 2 if I am at the courthouse until 5 and then travel time.
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Last time I got called I got an exemption by I was breast-feeding at the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN