Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drinking and Driving

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM
  • 98 Replies
24 moms liked this

I am a survivor of an accident involving a drunk driver. He was driving home from his bachelor party. He was going 80mph and we were going 5mph when he t-boned my side of the car. The jaws of life pryed us out and I was flown to the hospital via helicopter. I was resuscitated in the helicopter. I woke up to from a drug induced coma to be told that I had 24 hours before they knew I would survive. I was told that if I did survive, chances would be that I would not ever walk on my own. I had to relearn how to walk, talk and breathe without assistance.

10 years later and my body is full of issues. I would have a 10yr old child but the drunk that hit us took that away. I'm a full body arthritic. The interior of my eyes is that of an 80 year old (vitreous gel is fluid and retinas must be checked every year). My glands on my right side do not work properly. My face is paralyzed on the right side. I suffer from migraines due to my neck and brain trauma. My rib cage is slowly dislocating from the bottom up. I've been through all kinds of testing for MS because of the muscle issues that the brain trauma has caused. Yes, I am maintaining but I would much rather be a normal 36 year old without any physical/health issues that need maintenance. I am one of the lucky ones.

There are more stories like mine.  There are those who were not as 'lucky' as I was and am.  Please do not drink and drive. No matter how sober you think you are. You could affect someone's life forever. Think twice and hand over your keys after even one drink.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambertreas76
by Amber on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:54 AM

bump

Shaybay218
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I am so glad you made it through your tough time! I know today and tomorrow night we will not be on the road even though I know it could happen at anytime. I have seen too many Fatalities on the news about drunk drivers!

ambertreas76
by Amber on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Everyday is still tough.  People who drink and drive don't understand the implications of driving intoxicated.  The accident 10yrs ago will affect me for the rest of my life.  Staying home is one of the best things you could do on nights such as New Years Eve.

Quoting Shaybay218:

I am so glad you made it through your tough time! I know today and tomorrow night we will not be on the road even though I know it could happen at anytime. I have seen too many Fatalities on the news about drunk drivers!

Shaybay218
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I'm sorry that had to happen to you! What happened to the person that hit you? Did they get jail time atleast for a good while?

Quoting ambertreas76:

Everyday is still tough.  People who drink and drive don't understand the implications of driving intoxicated.  The accident 10yrs ago will affect me for the rest of my life.  Staying home is one of the best things you could do on nights such as New Years Eve.

Quoting Shaybay218:

ambertreas76
by Amber on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

He got 4 years in Florida State.  2 DUIs since.  As for me, next to nothing of a settlement, permanent body damage and 1 less child.  Don't ever drink and drive or allow someone else to.

Quoting Shaybay218:

I'm sorry that had to happen to you! What happened to the person that hit you? Did they get jail time atleast for a good while?

Quoting ambertreas76:

Quoting Shaybay218:

Shaybay218
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM

2 Dui's since...they need to revoke his ability to drive not even be able to ride a damn bike...I'm so sorry you lost your child! What part of florida do you live in?

Quoting ambertreas76:

He got 4 years in Florida State.  2 DUIs since.  As for me, next to nothing of a settlement, permanent body damage and 1 less child.  Don't ever drink and drive or allow someone else to.

Quoting Shaybay218:

Quoting ambertreas76:

Quoting Shaybay218:

diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I am glad you are alive! Thank you for sharing your story, I hope this helps people stop and think, not just tonight but every night.
My grandfather and husbands grandfather were not so lucky, both died in car accidents as the result of a drunk driver. As a result I decided to be an alcohol virgin. If my sons decide to drink when they are older, they know to be responsible and to never drink and drive.
jeepninja
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM
4 moms liked this

OP - Excellent post! Thank you for sharing your story. You are a strong woman who has have had to endure more than necessary. I am 35 and lost my father when I was 2 to a drunk driver.

PLEASE DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!!

SunCrazy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM
OMG! What an incredible story. There are too many stories like yours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM

wow your story touched me .. may i share it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)