Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Who has a kid in 4-H?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • 16 Replies

Is this normal anymore?  I was in 4-H when I was little and it was well organized.  We signed up for groups fully knowing when and where the meetings would be.  Groups met once a month.  Sometimes there would be a fee for the year to provide supplies but that was it.  

This year is my son's first year of 4-H.  Due to scheduling conflicts he is not in the club I was in, he's in the club that broke off of our club because they were upset the rules weren't all being followed exactly.  They wanted a strict club that followed every detail of the rules.  So it started back in August.  My son signed up for rabbits, fisheries and wildlife, outdoor adventures, and arts and crafts.  We were told we would be contacted about when the group meetings would be.

They never let us know very far in advance.  One time we went to a club meeting on Thursday and found out there was an arts and crafts meeting that Saturday.  They gave us the supply list at that point (7 pm Thursday night) and he had to have a candle and everything to decorate it with by Saturday morning.  Umm... we live 35 miles from all major stores!  Thankfully I was able to find a candle at CVS but it cost me close to $10 for 2 candles (so my dd didn't get left out) and instead of having Christmasy things to decorate I just pulled out whatever we happened to have at home.  It's just too expensive to buy everything at CVS.

Since then I've learned we missed and arts and crafts meeting.  Apparently they sent out an e-mail I never received and they didn't announce it at the club meeting because they didn't know the date yet.  He was crushed.

We learned about a rabbits meeting 3 days before it happened too.  Then a fisheries and wildlife meeting 2 days before it happened.  All have been on weekends.  What about people having plans?  Why can't they just say "fisheries and wildlife will be meeting on the 3rd Sunday of every month at 1pm" like they did when I was in 4-H?  We haven't heard a thing about outdoor adventures either.  And here it is the end of December and in the past 5 months we have had 2 (1 which we were not notified of) arts and crafts meetings, 1 rabbit meeting, and 1 fisheries and wildlife meeting.  That's it!

Is this normal?  I've considered switching clubs but it means he has to leave AWANA early once a month to go to 4-H.  Can you even switch in the middle of the club year?  I would have to buy him a new shirt too (his is less than a month old because they couldn't get their act together on that either).

Maybe we will try boy scouts next year instead of 4-H.  

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM
My boys are not in 4 H.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:51 PM

bump

mommybug77
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:15 PM
None around us.
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM

My oldest dd is in the 4h horse club. They always have a meeting the same day each month. If anything changes I am informed well ahead of time. We know weeks in advance when they are going to do fund raisers. I think you might could call a meeting with the leaders of the groups and tell them your concerns you have. I have never heard of a 4h group being that disorganized.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Thanks I might e-mail the leaders of the club about it.  I mean, how hard is it?

Quoting bunnywzrd:

My oldest dd is in the 4h horse club. They always have a meeting the same day each month. If anything changes I am informed well ahead of time. We know weeks in advance when they are going to do fund raisers. I think you might could call a meeting with the leaders of the groups and tell them your concerns you have. I have never heard of a 4h group being that disorganized.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:58 AM

There 4 H in our area but none of my kids are members.

story0702
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

All 3 of my kids are in 4H and I happen to be the advisor for the group. My volunteers and I meet next weekend to lay out the schedule from now until fair in July. Our meetings are always the first and 3rd sunday of the month. Anything outside of that is organized and voted on as a club. At the first meeting each child is given a binder with a calander that has all of our meetings , QA dates, judging, etc . The calander can also be written on so they can add things that kids decide to do as a club or county dates that are not available yet. There is also a sheet to keep track of club requirements .....community service , fundraisers, demos, etc .It is also where the kids keep their project and officers books. Maybe try another club or offer to make sure each child gets a calander with all the dates for the year (assuming they have decided on dates) . Good Luck mama . 4H really is a awesome program for kids !

kat1116
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My daughter did a sewing 4-h two yrs ago and the group was pretty bad I think. I had never been in it so wasn't sure what to do. They never really communicated and we had 3 meetings one of which we missed because she only called and told half the group. They never went over anything in the book or checked it. When we went to fair we had no idea what was going on. I actually called a whole other school group and got some idea from them other wise we would have missed most of it.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

My son joined last year because I asked him to but never participated in anything. After paying the $5.00 to join I never heard anything more about it. 

Cub scouts weren't much better for us. And the sad part is that the one year our son did Cub Scouts my husband was the den leader. It just worked out to where every time he scheduled a meeting he got called to work. And we were in so many sports at the same time that we ended up missing a lot of stuff. After that year we decided it wasn't for us. 

I'm really hoping he'll do something besides sports in 6th grade next year. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Kyle's not in 4H but good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)