Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone ever used an online service for nannies/babysitters?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM
  • 27 Replies

my husband and i need someone for just one day a week so i can pick up a lucretive extra shift, but we are on the fence about finding somebody through one of these agencies.  we've exhausted all other resources in terms of people we know and referrals.  anyone have experiences in this department they care to share?  thanks!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarlinda
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never used one due to having family around to watch our kids. If you do decide to use it then be really careful. ( not saying you wouldn't) Before using it..have you asked around to see if maybe someone has a teenager who could watch your kids?

athompson2189
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I agree with this 100%  online isnt the safest thing to do in my opinion. kinda scary. even with a back ground check. good luck!

Quoting Sarlinda:

I've never used one due to having family around to watch our kids. If you do decide to use it then be really careful. ( not saying you wouldn't) Before using it..have you asked around to see if maybe someone has a teenager who could watch your kids?

Truly Grateful , For each and every day!!!

aetmom2
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Thank you for posting this, I am wondering as well.  My husband is really pushing to find a babysitter, but I don't know about those sites, hope other mom's have had experiences.

wonderwomanT08
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM

look to see if your state has a site for licensed child care providers

mandyjh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM
No, the only people allowed to watch my children is my mom and dad, my sister, my brother, or my MIL, I just don't trust anyone else :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I have used care.com succesfully. You have the ability to do a background check as well as any reviews. I do in in-person interview and have 2 babysitting jobs where I'm home just doing office work so I can monitor the interaction but am not actively involved. 

If what you want is a daycare versus a once a week babysitter or nanny licended centers are also on the site. 

sarah427
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM
It worked for me also just like this, only I worked on the road and was able to drop by and check on my kids frequently and at different times. I did get referrals and previous employment and background.

Quoting Firewoman33:

I have used care.com succesfully. You have the ability to do a background check as well as any reviews. I do in in-person interview and have 2 babysitting jobs where I'm home just doing office work so I can monitor the interaction but am not actively involved. 

If what you want is a daycare versus a once a week babysitter or nanny licended centers are also on the site. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pottymouthmommy
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

sittercity.com has a bunch of different options to check in terms of your needs (licensed, CPR certified, first aid, INA member, bonded, insured, etc.).  a high school student would be great but it's for a daytime shift...and after interviewing in person, i would probably have her come and do a few shifts with me at home before i left her with my children.  

grr.  i keep going back and forth.  thanks for the insight, all.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Bump

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:01 AM

I haven't but here's a bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)