Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How soon is too soon in your opinion?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM
  • 45 Replies

Hi Ladies...

I am 39 this year~been divorced for a year, separated for 3 so 4 years gone and free from an emotional and psychological abusive marriage..yay me!!

Anyways, I have 2 children..my daughter is 16 and my son is 7.  I met a wonderful man this last August through eHarmony ;)   We fell in love on our 1st date which happened to be my birthday :D   We have been inseparatable since...he proposed to me 2 days before Christmas and I said yes!!  So, in reality..I have only known this man for 5 months Heehee  but, we are both adults and have been married before and know what we want and don't want.  My family is giving me hell!!  I mean really! We aren't eloping or anything we are planning on our wedding next August but they are causing such a stink we are seriously thinking about going to Vegas.  But, my mom had this "teary" talk with me about how she wants to be involved in my wedding but can't so soon..you see my sister is getting married in May. I was told I am "stealing her thunder" cause she is planning a huge, expensive wedding.  We just want to be married and get on with our lives.  My kids love him and his kids love me...which is a major plus! Am I being selfish here? By wanting to be married no matter how much time has past, or who is involved??

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I know couples that got married in 5 months. Dont listen to your family.. a yr is plenty long enough. You're not a kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Congratulations!!! I met my husband and he moved in 2 weeks later. So out of character for me but sometimes you just know. We have now been together 9 years, married for 4 1/2. I don't think time is the issue. Sorry your family is being a pain, however, I agree with them for one thing. If this is your sisters 1st wedding I'd let her have her day. It takes a ton of planning and family involvement. I also don't think you should alope unless both sets of kids are older. I think they need to be part of the process and kids in Vegas is hard. We tried once. If you love each other that much the extra time it will take will go by quickly and won't matter. Just my 2 sence :) 

rebal
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM

My parents got married after 5 months dating and they will be celebrating their 37th anniversary in July.

Telo319
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM
My husband and I married after only a few months. Sometimes you just know it's right. i day go to Vegas or elope it's all about you guys now.
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM

My parents were engaged 3 weeks after they met and they have been married over 35 years :)

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Slow the truck down, your family is rightfully concerned, you don't know him well enough yet, you're barely past the infatuation stage, and blending families is HARD. Just saying!

AngylJen
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I see it this way.. it's your life, not theirs. Do what YOU feel is right. Congrats! =)

mushmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I kinda agree. Especially with kids involved. I also agree that it would rain on your sister's parade. Your family seems to have your best interest at heart.
It's wonderful you found each other though :) Dh and I met on eharmony too! Married over 5 years.

Quoting Lindalou907:

Slow the truck down, your family is rightfully concerned, you don't know him well enough yet, you're barely past the infatuation stage, and blending families is HARD. Just saying!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkysmommy720
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM
My mom and stepdad married after only knowing each other 6 weeks. They celebrated 35 years yesterday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

DH and I were only together for 6 months when we married.  I was 18, he was 19, on our wedding day.  We eloped.  My family was not happy.....but this is my life, not theirs, and I believe that when something is right you just have to go for it no matter what others think.  (ftr - we will be celebrating our 21st anniversary the end of this month)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)