Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay, so I had to apologize to my tween son because...

Posted by   + Show Post
My mom did the same thing i griped at him about!
I asked her please switch out the clothes from that washer to the dryer before she went to bed. I have always assumed that when someone asked you to put clothes in the dryer, there was the unspoken (and Turn. It. On.) implied.
Apparently i was misinformed, as my mothet did as my son did. She followed my request to the "T". She put the wet clothes in dryer. Done.

So i had to apologize to my tween who has been fussed at many times for the same thing *sigh*

Do actually have to SAY " and turn it on"? At your house?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM

My boys aren't old enough yet, but I would assume it is a given to turn it on.  Although there have been times that I have forgotten to do it.  I blame "mommy brain" though.

QTMom2302
by Ami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

lol... sorry for laughing. I have said things to DD and had to specify each step to make sure everything got done. However, putting clothes in the dryer... I've never had to actually say "and turn it on" before. I thought it was just common sense. You put wet clothes in the dryer & you turn it on. Who knows!

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I'm pretty sure this is what happened :)
It was just a shame my tween discovered it !

Quoting ScrChk23:

My boys aren't old enough yet, but I would assume it is a given to turn it on.  Although there have been times that I have forgotten to do it.  I blame "mommy brain" though.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Funny though.  :)

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I'm pretty sure this is what happened :)
It was just a shame my tween discovered it !

Quoting ScrChk23:

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't have to apologize for laughing :) can't say I did at the time though!

I mean, until my son was eleven, I was still getting fruit scented soap and shampoo, just to make sure his hair smelled like blueberry and watermelin skin as " take a shower" seem to mean " turn the water on and stand at the back of the tub" ya know?

Poor mom! She stayed the week with us, i believe it was just a brain fart, it was annoying that tween discovered it! " Moooom! Why didn't Nana have to turn on the dryer?!" Ugh!

Quoting QTMom2302:

lol... sorry for laughing. I have said things to DD and had to specify each step to make sure everything got done. However, putting clothes in the dryer... I've never had to actually say "and turn it on" before. I thought it was just common sense. You put wet clothes in the dryer & you turn it on. Who knows!

QTMom2302
by Ami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM

My 14 yo SS lives w/ us now and I'm constantly saying "did you brush your teeth? did you put on deoderant? brush your hair! change your clothes!" but unfortunately these were things that BM never cared to keep up on over there. But still common sense. :-P

Oh yeah and it's always going to be the child who notices what happened. If you ever slip or someone else does and it's something they always get in trouble for, they definitely speak up about it. lol

Quoting hollydaze1974:

You don't have to apologize for laughing :) can't say I did at the time though!

I mean, until my son was eleven, I was still getting fruit scented soap and shampoo, just to make sure his hair smelled like blueberry and watermelin skin as " take a shower" seem to mean " turn the water on and stand at the back of the tub" ya know?

Poor mom! She stayed the week with us, i believe it was just a brain fart, it was annoying that tween discovered it! " Moooom! Why didn't Nana have to turn on the dryer?!" Ugh!

Quoting QTMom2302:

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

No, my 10 year old son knows exactly what to do when I say "switch the clothes around". 

But I have a funny story. One day when I was a teenager my mom wasn't feeling well. She gave me specific instructions that I followed to the T. She said...and I quote "get a pot, put some eggs in the pot and turn the stove on". Which is exactly what I did. She hadn't said to put any water in the pot, or put the pot on the stove. I thought the might have been planning to get up and cook something. Buy was she mad when a little later she asked me how the eggs were coming along and I was like "huh"?

Had she just told me to put eggs boiling I could have done that. But my mom was the kind of person where you were damned if you did and damned if you didn't so you never knew how to please her. That was over 15 years ago and I still get teased about it. To make matters worse I was on the phone with my BFF (at the time) and she heard all of this. She still makes fun of me when I see her too. 

bookworm14
by Mandy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

This part isn't the concern. My boyfriend and I each have issues with actually remembering to turn it on! We know that needs to be done, we just get distracted and it doesn't happen. I couldn't tell you how many times we've gone to switch things out, just to realize it never dried in the first place!

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM
And doesn't it drive you crazy if you don't realize it before it sours?!?! THAT'S what i hate!

Quoting bookworm14:

This part isn't the concern. My boyfriend and I each have issues with actually remembering to turn it on! We know that needs to be done, we just get distracted and it doesn't happen. I couldn't tell you how many times we've gone to switch things out, just to realize it never dried in the first place!

bookworm14
by Mandy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I used to have that issue at my mom's, but never happened here. Sunday is always Laundry Day here, so we pretty much stay on top of it. But yes, I totally agree. Its so hard to get the smell out!

Quoting hollydaze1974:

And doesn't it drive you crazy if you don't realize it before it sours?!?! THAT'S what i hate!

Quoting bookworm14:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)