Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Would u pick a babysitter from online, also whats todays goin rate for babysitting?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just a little curious, because I've talked to some moms who have went about getting a baby sitter in various ways. going through a friend of a friend, a co-workes relative, all the way down to finding some one off the internet. And I'm not talking about the web sites that have back ground checked nanny's. I'm talking about a random, stranger who posted a ad on a local web site for a town they live in ( kinda like craigs list) stating they would baby sit.

Would you do that? Would you feel comfortable enough allowing a complete stranger that you met off the internet to babysit your kid(s) at any age?

Also, what do you feel is fair for babysitting. What's the going rate now days? I was asked to babysit someone's child for a day. for 10 hours, in my home and i provide the meals. I was offered $20 and I said no, $35 would seem more fair to me. I used to help my mom when I was younger in her day care,but I haven't baby sat in years, so I'm not sure if that's to high of a price.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Replies (21-30):
Ladybugmama86
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I have gotten several jobs through care.com. But I have a background check everything through them. I also almost nannyied for a couple that I responded to their listing in the newspaper... It didnt work out because we ended up moving out of state before the baby was born.

But as far as just some random posting somewhere.. No probably not.

I was watching 2 children for 8 hours 5 days a week and I was getting $40 a day, $20 per child, and I provided meals and one of them was an infant. There is another set of kids I fill in for someone I know and their mom pays $40 a day for 2 kids. So around here $20 is the going rate, but that is also for full time care. I dont think its unreasonable for you to ask $35, as long as its not all the time. You can charge more if its an occasional thing.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
MrsLondon
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Absolutely not!! I barely trusted my my neighbor ( a teen girl) right next door. It took me a long time to give her a shot. I only leave my kids with my immediate family. If my Mom, Aunts, or MIL can't watch my kids then we don't go.

If I asked someone to watch my child for that long and provide all of the meals I'd pay more like 45-50. I'm more generous I guess with that. People's time is valuable. 20 bucks is not nearly enough for 10 hrs plus food!!

YngCollegeSMom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

You are cheap work! I work as a nanny and the minimum wage that I will accept is $10 an hour. I have been paid up to $13 an hour though. I live in Ohio, but I know that in areas such as Boston, they charge wayyy more. Around $15 an hour for one kid and up to $25 an hour for 3 kids. That is what I have heard anyway. 

the.real.me
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

used to be ads in a paper, little scraps on a board in the local grocery store or library......  different times, same thing....  modes of putting yourself out there.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM

We found our old sitter via craigslist. She was a high schooler and did a great job.

In the beginning we met her and her parents somewhere public and we then we called her past families. Its been a few years but we paid her $10hr for two kids ages 4 and 6.

tinkerbellbay
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I have a in home daycare and find all my kids on Craigslist. I have 4 very happy parents that found me on the net. I also have a few that left and now want to come back (they were laid off of there job) and I don't have any spots fr them anymore.

January1964
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Just do background checks and start off by having the sitter with your child while you are in the house. You can see how they get along together and you can watch her style if you pop downstairs now and then. $10 per hour is the rate around here.

ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

No I would not hire someone without a background check.

wheni was still babysitting I charged $10 an hour. But I also have taken three years of early childhood educational careers along with being trained in CPR and first aid. 

So price really depends on a lot of things. If you haven't been trained and stuff than no more than like $4 an hour at the most. 

jackies_jewels
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I don't allow anyone to babysit my kids but close family. :) I most definitely would NOT let a stranger without a background check watch them, and I'm even a little wary of that care.com and similar sites as well. I personally wouldn't ever use them, but to each their own. 

veganistic
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Your rapes are expensive! *Giggles*
Reread your post ;)

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Yes. And i run a daycare from home, with most of my clients coming from online, from sittercity.com, care.com, care4hire.com etc. 

I like being able to provide cheaper than daycare centers but more loving care. my rapes are 100 a week per child. but i also slide scale, depending on the families situation, such as one mom who has 2 children, but cant afford 200 a week, so i made it 100 a week for both. 

for a day, i would say 20 is fine honestly. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)