Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Would u pick a babysitter from online, also whats todays goin rate for babysitting?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just a little curious, because I've talked to some moms who have went about getting a baby sitter in various ways. going through a friend of a friend, a co-workes relative, all the way down to finding some one off the internet. And I'm not talking about the web sites that have back ground checked nanny's. I'm talking about a random, stranger who posted a ad on a local web site for a town they live in ( kinda like craigs list) stating they would baby sit.

Would you do that? Would you feel comfortable enough allowing a complete stranger that you met off the internet to babysit your kid(s) at any age?

Also, what do you feel is fair for babysitting. What's the going rate now days? I was asked to babysit someone's child for a day. for 10 hours, in my home and i provide the meals. I was offered $20 and I said no, $35 would seem more fair to me. I used to help my mom when I was younger in her day care,but I haven't baby sat in years, so I'm not sure if that's to high of a price.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Replies (41-50):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

oh and as far as rate, it depends on the age of sitter and amount of kids to babysitt.  In my case, the 2 girls I use are super cheap still at $6 / hour.  But then again, they sit at night, but DD to bed and are paid basically to watch TV / surf the net.  I always round it off too, let's say they babysat 6 hours at $6 = $36 I'll round it off to $40 or $45

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG lol. my bad hahah my husband and me are laughing so hard right now

Quoting veganistic:

Your rapes are expensive! *Giggles*
Reread your post ;)

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Yes. And i run a daycare from home, with most of my clients coming from online, from sittercity.com, care.com, care4hire.com etc. 

I like being able to provide cheaper than daycare centers but more loving care. my rapes are 100 a week per child. but i also slide scale, depending on the families situation, such as one mom who has 2 children, but cant afford 200 a week, so i made it 100 a week for both. 

for a day, i would say 20 is fine honestly. 

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

haha i know i fixed it lol. 

Quoting sexysiren1983:

Rapes? I noow that was a typo but c'mon hoow horrid that sounds

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Yes. And i run a daycare from home, with most of my clients coming from online, from sittercity.com, care.com, care4hire.com etc. 

I like being able to provide cheaper than daycare centers but more loving care. my rapes are 100 a week per child. but i also slide scale, depending on the families situation, such as one mom who has 2 children, but cant afford 200 a week, so i made it 100 a week for both. 

LA-Blogger-Mom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

$35 for the day ?!?!? can you move to my house ? I live in LA and pay $15 an hour.

http://www.not-going-out-like-that.com/

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM
If I had a access to background check stuff, drug testing, etc I would hire off of CL or other ads. I wouldn't hire them without running all that, first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NeonMommy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I wouldn't have a babysitter in the first place, unless they were my family.

I really don't trust people these days..Sorry but I don't..to many things have happened and I don't really go out much, to worry about a babysitter.

olliesmommy2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I would not hire a random person to care for my child. I would even be reserved to hire someone from a service that claims to check backgrounds. I only have one and maybe im a bit overprotective, but i dont leave my kid with people i have no idea are trustworthy or not.

I was paid $40 a day to watch a 2 yo and 5 yo for 6-8 hours. Its fair in my area. I sah so i dont really know what daycare runs. Seems ive heard $200-$300 per week per child is average here.

funnymommy71
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I actually went to care.com and found my AWESOME sitter who is going to school for teaching and subs in my son's school.  I interviewed her- did checks etc. I have never had a "non" teacher or daycare certified teacher  sit with my kids except my niece who sits for us.    Generally $10- $12 an hour and my kids are pretty easy going.

sucker4myloves
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I wish I could do this too! Being that I can't afford day care costs, and I know how horrid it feels, I'd love to run a daycare from home and charge much less while giving them more love and personal care. Unfortunately, I don't have the space for such a venture, so it will just have to wait until I do :)

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

I like being able to provide cheaper than daycare centers but more loving care. my rates are 100 a week per child. but i also slide scale, depending on the families situation, such as one mom who has 2 children, but cant afford 200 a week, so i made it 100 a week for both. 

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

jaydensmom1726
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

i paid 20 a day for a private in home daycare. but for that 20 the sitter had masters in earky childhood education,

she was a signlanguage interprater,and one of her older children has autism.and all his meals were included and they were organic,

and i found her on craigslist

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)