Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would u pick a babysitter from online, also whats todays goin rate for babysitting?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just a little curious, because I've talked to some moms who have went about getting a baby sitter in various ways. going through a friend of a friend, a co-workes relative, all the way down to finding some one off the internet. And I'm not talking about the web sites that have back ground checked nanny's. I'm talking about a random, stranger who posted a ad on a local web site for a town they live in ( kinda like craigs list) stating they would baby sit.

Would you do that? Would you feel comfortable enough allowing a complete stranger that you met off the internet to babysit your kid(s) at any age?

Also, what do you feel is fair for babysitting. What's the going rate now days? I was asked to babysit someone's child for a day. for 10 hours, in my home and i provide the meals. I was offered $20 and I said no, $35 would seem more fair to me. I used to help my mom when I was younger in her day care,but I haven't baby sat in years, so I'm not sure if that's to high of a price.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Replies (51-57):
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM
$50 for a 10 hour day at least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
untidyone
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I found great success with Care.com. We pay between $10-$15/ hr depending on the sitter.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this

You will get there! That was me for so long! we lived in apartments. and i did have one neighbor i sat for, but she moved away. it took so long to be able to have the space when we moved into our condo, and then now our new house. rebuilding a clientele in a new area though, its hard! LOL 

Quoting sucker4myloves:

I wish I could do this too! Being that I can't afford day care costs, and I know how horrid it feels, I'd love to run a daycare from home and charge much less while giving them more love and personal care. Unfortunately, I don't have the space for such a venture, so it will just have to wait until I do :)

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Yes. And i run a daycare from home, with most of my clients coming from online, from sittercity.com, care.com, care4hire.com etc. 

I like being able to provide cheaper than daycare centers but more loving care. my rates are 100 a week per child. but i also slide scale, depending on the families situation, such as one mom who has 2 children, but cant afford 200 a week, so i made it 100 a week for both. 

for a day, i would say 20 is fine honestly. 

RabsBaby
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM
I'm so thankful that I was able to leave my little one right at home with his sister (22 years older than him! LoL) when I had to return to work. I pay her $150 a week, which amounts to $30 a day. I am now about to start looking into home daycares, hopefully I can find something reasonable near my home. My daughter is ready to start looking for work & I can't expect her to stop her life for me. I am very thankful for the time she has spent with him. Hopefully she'll do a few more months ;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Care.com
Nannys and sitters that have backround checks, reviews, and pay.
That is about the only site id use
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AuntyEm774
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Here daycare seems to range from 2.50 to 3.50 an hour. Many daycares also have a reduced rate for additional kids from the same family. I pay $2 per hour/per kid when the neighbor kids bbsit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mitzi31
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

$35 a day seems like very little to be responsible for someone elses children especially infants. Of course I wouldn't want to pay more than that but I wouldn't do it for that, lol. I would assume $10 - $12 an hr seems reasonable even if you provide food and everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)