Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

K-12 Buildings?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM
  • 13 Replies

Our school is in the process of building a new K-12 building . I am a little concerned about the ability to separate the high school and elementary children. I was just curious if anyone else's children go to a school with this set up and if so they're experience with it. 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My kids are in private school. It is K3-12. The K3-1st grade is on the bottom level, 2nd-6th is on the 2nd level on one side and the 7-12th is on the other side and in 2 trailers directly outside the HS office. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM

My sons' school campus is grades 1-12.  The younger kids.....grades 1-6.....have their buildings in one area -- the building for grades 7-12 are on a separate part of the campus.  They aren't really together much.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I know several schools like this. Even though it's one building its really three or four separate attached buildings. The kids don't mix and even the bus picks them up at different doors. I never had an issue with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2spoiledgirlz
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The school where my daughters go to is split up. I understand your concern. I would be nervous that my elementary age daughters would be run downed or someone smart ass kid saying something. IDK I have daughters and think the worst.

bizkit_fanky
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Dd's school is K- 8 only

igot2crazyboys
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM
My kids go to the same school I went to. It's pre k-12. I love it. The elem is on one side of the building and the middle and high school kids are on the other side of the building. The cafeterias separate the to sides. My boys music and art classes are in the Hugh school part but they have never had a problem with the older kids. They loved being able to see there aunt and uncle in school(my brother and sister have graduated now). I think it helps get the use to and ready for high school. With them growing up like that they will remember how it was when they was the little kids. Some of the high schoolers also come and help out in the elem classes. I love it. But I also grew up going to that school some of my teachers taught my parents. The whole school had about 900 kids total. We live in a one red light town and everybody knows everybody. Love it. Seen my sister at the grocery this afternoon. :) I'm rambling now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM
my son's is k-12 but it's a charter homeschool so it's different. I mean some workshops are k-12 in the same class so it's not separated at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM

The private school my kids were in in the states was PK-8 all in one building.  It was never a problem.  The middle school was upstairs....the PK/K were downstairs....the in-between grades were spread out but sort of divided and placed closer to grades closer to their ages.  The science lab was in the PK/K hallway....and they shared a single cafeteria/multipurpose room.  There were never any problems though....they were all great kids.  The older grades looked out for the younger kids - the younger kids looked up to the older kids.  It was more like a big family than a school.  The whole school did stuff together weekly - assemblies, projects, etc.  it was an awesome place.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM
When we lived in AZ kids went to a k-12 school. The jr and high school classes were in a seperate bldg with cafeteria in the middle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pattya925
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

This sounds just like the school I attended K-12 and that my son now attends.

Quoting igot2crazyboys:

My kids go to the same school I went to. It's pre k-12. I love it. The elem is on one side of the building and the middle and high school kids are on the other side of the building. The cafeterias separate the to sides. My boys music and art classes are in the Hugh school part but they have never had a problem with the older kids. They loved being able to see there aunt and uncle in school(my brother and sister have graduated now). I think it helps get the use to and ready for high school. With them growing up like that they will remember how it was when they was the little kids. Some of the high schoolers also come and help out in the elem classes. I love it. But I also grew up going to that school some of my teachers taught my parents. The whole school had about 900 kids total. We live in a one red light town and everybody knows everybody. Love it. Seen my sister at the grocery this afternoon. :) I'm rambling now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)