Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

lentils

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 22 Replies

anyone have any good recipes?  particularly for side dishes?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I usually just cook it up in a pot with a little bit of sea salt. I have it for lunch when I need something. But I am interested to see what recipes come up. 

lizzig
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM

that's typically what i do to & eat them with some rice.  want to get a bit more creative with them though.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

I usually just cook it up in a pot with a little bit of sea salt. I have it for lunch when I need something. But I am interested to see what recipes come up. 

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM
we season them however we feel like it. we eat them in tacos a lot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama_l
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM
http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/lentil-barley-vegetable-skillet/4e1af394-877c-4dbb-83c0-fa819b84df8d

I ran across this the other day and bookmarked it. It looks good. I'm sorry I'm mobile so I can't make it clicky.
Lentil barley vegetable skillet.
USD2012
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Bring it to boil with salt to taste, drain excess water and temper it with a nob of butter adding few chilli flakes, pinch of turmeric poweder, a small stick of cinnamon and few dark mustard seeds.... if fancy add a bit of coconut milk. great with steamed rice, any type of roti or even with bread. hope youll like this

annelauer
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Just your title made my mouth water.  YUM!

she_walk_softly
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Look on allrecipes. 

But one of mine

Rasta Soup

Soak 2 c green lentil 1hour

Boil lentil with salt and enough water to make a big pot of soup fry 1 diced onion  3 clove garlic 1 bunch fresh chopped celentro 2sliced carrot put it in the pot with the lentil (I don't have times I do it in a pressure cooker).in another pot cook 1/2 bag of small pasta or egg noodle until done then rinse in cold water  .

add 3tbs of flower mixed in 1/4 cup water  to the pot of soup and boil for 5min . Turn off the soup and add noodle.

Bam! It's like chicken noodle but with lentil. adjust measurements to your taste.

lizzig
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM

sounds yummy!

Quoting USD2012:

Bring it to boil with salt to taste, drain excess water and temper it with a nob of butter adding few chilli flakes, pinch of turmeric poweder, a small stick of cinnamon and few dark mustard seeds.... if fancy add a bit of coconut milk. great with steamed rice, any type of roti or even with bread. hope youll like this

moroccanmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Fenegreek...bullion ...onions..1 diced tomato ..Ginger..turmeric ..cumin

Made big pot last night ..so yummy
lizzig
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:57 AM

fenegreek?  not familiar with that, what is it?

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Fenegreek...bullion ...onions..1 diced tomato ..Ginger..turmeric ..cumin

Made big pot last night ..so yummy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)