Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My Child's Name...Venting Here B/C I Can't Tell My Parents to Shove It

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM
  • 116 Replies

Okay, so my happy euphoria over having a son that you may remember from my last post is gone...We are music lovers, my husband and I. Our two year old is named Emmylou, after Emmylou Harris. We found out last night that our second child is going to be a boy...so we've decided to name him Crosby...after Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. We're happy with it, which is what counts, but I was told the following, by each member of my family:

Sister: "Crosby? Really? You are so disowned, I don't know you."

Mom: "Well, I have 5 months to change your mind."

Dad: "I don't want to hear any lip or sass, but you have to consider how a child is going to be received with a name like that."

5 year old nephew: "No one likes your baby's name."

I mean seriously!!! I don't remember sending out a poll about baby's names to anyone! What does it matter to you what I call my child? It's not your child, it's not your name. There are plenty of kids names out there that I think they're parents had to of hit their collective heads pretty hard...but I don't say anything.

Okay, done venting....had to get that off my chest...Am I just being all pregnant hormonal about this? Should I bite my tongue, or do I have someone's permission to tell my family to shove it?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sallij
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM
5 moms liked this
That's one of the reason we didn't tell anyone our thoughts on DD's name. I didn't care to hear their opinions on it. I'd tell them to piss off, but I'm an ass like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I would tell them that they can (Or Did) name the kids they give birth to and that you intend to do likewise. I kinda like the name, just As an aside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoganTroyMom
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
whatjs your last name? crosby sounds like cosby but i love the inspiration. emmylou is beautiful too. what about nash, maybe?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meliscool72

I told my family to shove it, my ex mil said the same thing that she has a certain amount of time to change my mind. Which she failed miserably. She said my son's name sounded like the devil. 

pagancuriosity

Quoting sallij:

That's one of the reason we didn't tell anyone our thoughts on DD's name. I didn't care to hear their opinions on it. I'd tell them to piss off, but I'm an ass like that.

haha, if I were more like my sister, I'd be able to tell them to piss off...however, my parent's don't call me Switzerland for nothing...hate making waves, picking sides, etc. Basically I'm a wimp

happykitty316
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell them to shove it.

pagancuriosity
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

whatjs your last name? crosby sounds like cosby but i love the inspiration. emmylou is beautiful too. what about nash, maybe?

Nash was actually the name that came to us first...but our last name is Good (yep, Lancaster County, PA in case anyone was wondering) and Nash Good just didn't have the right ring to us. We both said "Crosby Good" and that was it, we were hooked.

Chris030406
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Eh, my in-laws gave us the same shit when my bio boys were born.

Tell them to eat it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmesCSki
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
We didn't tell anyone the name we picked until the baby was born because we didn't want to hear anyone else's opinions.
For what it's worth I went to college with a kid named Crosby and I think it's a great name :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM
What is your son's name? I will Gess Maybe Damon?

Quoting meliscool72:

I told my family to shove it, my ex mil said the same thing that she has a certain amount of time to change my mind. Which she failed miserably. She said my son's name sounded like the devil. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN