Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Time outs for toddlers?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 21 Replies
I was at lunch a few weeks back with different female family members. Using time outs as a discipline came up and I said that I do use it, sparingly, but I do. I never did with my oldest two children as they just didn't need it but my youngest hits the ground running at 100mph every morning and for her, a time out is a good "chill little woman" time. It works... so I use it. And on rare occasion her older sister gets one as well.

My cousin was appaled but wouldn't explain what was sooooo wrong! Hahaa! So, what do you all think? She acted like I threw my kid in prison! Some days I'd like to! Hahaa! Seriously, she is 3 years old and she gets 3 minutes. She has usually chilled in that time enough that we can discuss her issue. If she didn't have that time I don't think she would be able to chill enough to grasp what I am saying. For real... Tazmanian wild child! Gotta love her tho!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Soooo... um.... timeouts is one word, isn't it? Oops! Sorry! :)
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Pfft. Why not? I use them with my 21 mos old. To be brought to a peaceful area away from whatever naughtiness she was getting up to is sometimes exactly what she needs. 

What kind of consequences does your cousin use then? 

wingsfan1234
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I use them and have with both my girls (they are now 6 and 4) and still get timeouts!  My younger daughter sounds like yours.. she is a tazmanian wild child from the minute she gets up til she passes out at night.. she even fights sleep at night!   but having her have a timeout gives her enough time to calm down so we can talk.. or like yesterday she ended up in timeout for hitting her sister but in that 4 minutes she was sitting down in timeout she fell ASLEEP and slept for 2 hours on the swing outside..(yes we were all outside so she wasn't alone) 

anyways every child is different and each child sometimes needs to be disciplined accordingly 

Mommy to two girls here on earth and one in Heaven watching over us

Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I think of it like this that time out's are not only for the kids to calm down but also for us to calm down before we blow our top. I have had to use it many times with my son because he will push until I become explosive. So I put him in his room or in a corner to calm us both down so I don't do something I will regret. 

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with time outs.
I absolutely had to with my older son, but I have a two yr old like your daughter. His nickname is " The Tiny Tyrant"
Our timeouts right now are used a little differently that traditional. They are used when I'M about to lose it and it's either a crib time out or I'll kill em! But it's the same general idea "when you can calm yourself down and listen instead of screaming, I would love for you to come out with the rest of us"
It's longer than , uh, "super nanny "specifies because it takes longer. But when I get him, he wants hugs and kisses and is more mellow.... Sometimes I think he's ASKING for alone time during a breakdown, honestly.

He's that child that is perfect in public and terrorizes the family at home, hence his nickname .
PandorasWorld
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

don't pay attention to them at the end of the day you have to take care of them nobody else. i completely understand what you are going through. now that i have told those certain people being crazy at moments may be in my bloodline but i don't have to give that energy to other adults just my babies.

PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
She wasn't very interested in sharing what methods she uses... and there was an awkward silence at the table when I asked. Later, an aunt whisper asked if I spend much time with them and I said not really. She elbowed me a bit and laughed and said if I did I wouldn't have bothered to ask how she deals with behaviors. So.... my impression is that they are pretty out of hand and there really isn't much discipline going on at all. *shrug* bummer for her! People are always in awe of how well behaved my little bugs are when we are out and about. :) And yeah, I might be bragging a bit! *wink* but really, it just takes that little extra planning around nap times, making sure bellies are full and an occasional walk for the taz and they are pretty good!

Quoting Firewoman33:

Pfft. Why not? I use them with my 21 mos old. To be brought to a peaceful area away from whatever naughtiness she was getting up to is sometimes exactly what she needs. 

What kind of consequences does your cousin use then? 

mushmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I'm guessing she spanks. Otherwise I don't understand why she'd act appalled.
K8WillBLast
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Yes, we use timeouts.  My 21 month old twins get them. the 11 month old don't get them yet.  I started around 18 months.

mrs.Martinez201
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM
OMG if we spank we're beating them, if we take toys away it's unfair and they dont understand, now time out is an issue. WTF are we supposed to do????
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN