Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

i have a 12 year old son named kendryck who do not want to do right in school or at home. i am always getting phone calls from his teachers saying that he is not doing his work in class, not turning in his homework, he is acting up in class, and being disrespectful to the teachers. he also got suspended for bringing a bb gun to school. he had to attend a special program at his school for children who act up in school. kendryck also had the nerve to go inside wal-mart and attempt to steal some head phones because his knuckle head friend double dared him to. him and that other boy are no longer friends anymore, i made sure of that ! when he is at home, his attitude towards his father and i is terrible as well. he gets an attitude about anything that you tell him or get him to do. he argues with us constantly and his attitude at life sucks very bad. he treats his younger brother like dirt and i am getting tired of it. he barely wants anything to do with his brother.

so my question to other moms is that if i was thinking about enrolling him in a military school for boys would i be turning my back on my son ? we are doing everything that we are suppose to be doing with him. but nothing that we are doing seems to be working. i really need some advice on this one ladies ! 

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Replies (11-17):
Sweet.Rose
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

he seems really angry and upset. have you guys tried to sit down and talk it out with him. a lot of kids that are going through things and hide it take it out it misbehaving. military school should be a last option in my opinion.

cathy152
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I have seen a lot of horro shows about boot camps children have died. when looking into the camp or school see if they allow surprise visits,talk to other kids,ask what their punishments consist of. Its normal for kids to complian and beg to come home if after some time has passed and your child is still begging to come home there may be a real reason other than just trying to get out of the program. I believe Date Line has had a special on boot camps and military schools. I wish you luck in whatever you do.

cathy152
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I have seen a lot of horro shows about boot camps children have died. when looking into the camp or school see if they allow surprise visits,talk to other kids,ask what their punishments consist of. Its normal for kids to complian and beg to come home if after some time has passed and your child is still begging to come home there may be a real reason other than just trying to get out of the program. I believe Dateline had a special on boot camps and military schools. I wish you luck in whatever you do.

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Hi mommas. Have your boys always has these issues? Logan is very similar. He is ADHD and gifted but very lazy. He is hitting puberty and his attitude lately sucks. He will be 12 in 2 weeks. I'm working i'm getting him into a big brother program. Also thinking about 4h or Karate. Do the boys do sports? Have they seen a psychologist? I would go that route first but if all else fails some kids really do benefit from military school. It has definitely crossed my mind a few times.

Quoting jenmatt451:

Ugh!  Change your son's name to my son's name, and you would have just described my boy to a T!  And he's 12 also!!!  If you can afford it, I say go for it!  I am contemplating sending my son to live with his biological father....I probably won't because he's a real piece of work and Jacob would end up worse off in my opinion.  But, yeah...IT SUCKS!!!!  My son is so smart and could really make something of himself if he would just try, but he won't.  And he is a horrible influence on his 4 year old brother and sister.  They have starting mouthing off to me and my husband and it makes me ill to think that I could end up with three children that act like this!  I have a meeting with the principal on Monday to see about getting him into special ed classes that they have resisted for so long because he always does so well on testing...yet he failed 6th grade last year.  They actually wanted to pass him on to 7th grade because they didn't want him to feel "different" and out of place if they held him back.  And he didn't just fail...he made 20's and 30's each six weeks in each subject and yet they wanted to just push him on to Jr. High.  I put my foot down and demanded that he be retained.  This year started off okay.  He passed all but one subject the first six weeks but has been on a downward spiral ever since.  I'm at a loss just like you.   Hugs momma!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kris on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Watching out for your son is not turning your back on him.  Go talk to the school counselor or his doctor and get recommendations from them.  If you can find a way to help him, do it - whatever the cost.  Your son and his future are worth it.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I would first figure out why he is behaving this way.  Any educational/learning, family, private problems.  Why isn't he doing his homework at home first before going out or sleeping?  I would leave the military school last resort.  As a parent we all have to be on top of our children's behavior at home first so when at school they are prepared to learn the best that they can.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I agree with this but if you have exhausted all other options to no avail then I would say Military school would be a good next step. I don't think you would be turning your back on him.

Quoting Lindalou907:

Have you tried counseling for him? Maybe a therapist can get to the bottom of it. Has he always been difficult? Is your husband his bio-dad? And do they get along? Have you tried taking away his favorite things, or privileges, sometimes that works. I don't think it's a terrible thing at all to send him away, but it a last resort and very expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)