Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tomorrow is my birthday. I was determined this year wouldn't suck like every other year.
months ago I arranged to leave ds (who has spd and a really hard time in stores) with a friend and spend the day shopping with my mom and dd. when asked what I wanted for my birthday by my mom and husband I told them money for our trip. finally a fun birthday!
I just cancelled it. ds is getting a cold and I don't want him to infect my friends kids. he's crying. I'm completely bummed.
today we had planned a family bike ride to the park and a picnic.
it's raining.
plus I just discovered yesterday both of my kids went through growth spurts and need new shirts.
I'm bummed. I should have known something would happen to ruin my plans. instead I get to stay home cleaning and caring for my sick ds and almost recovered dd.
and yes things could be worse but there has only been 1 birthday my entire life that has been good no matter how hard my family tries to make it otherwise. birthday parties nobody showed up to, getting up early for the first day of school back from break (uggh that reminds me I have to start homeschooling again tomorrow), illnesses, hubby s work schedule, something always ruins any plans that we have.
I hate my birthday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Replies (11-16):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

yay! hubby remembered that his sister was just getting over a cold and is probably where we got ours. so he called her and not only is she keeping him tomorrow but she's taking him in a few hours for the night!

Glad it worked out. Enjoy your birthday.

muzicbox9
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Would it help you to think of the fact that time being 'cyclical' is a man-made concept?  New Year's Day, anniversaries, birthdays etc.etc... These days being celebrated as if we are revisiting them somehow on the spectrum of time is not actually possible. Time moves from beginning to end - with no revisitation of days in between.  Knowing this, you will know that we all can ever only have one birthday - and that would be the actual day we were born.  So ... there is nothing to celebrate anyway. Problem solved.

Da998
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Happy Birthday! (belated)
I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday was my birthday too. I have always felt the same way too. The 7th is always close to paying the rent and my dh is terrible at planning, so you can imagine. I stopped expecting surprises and started asking for what exactly I want (I try and make a list of things I want throughout the year, i also do this for each person) in case I forget. My dh seems relieved and I am happier. If I plan a day for myself its always a day I pick and usually after my birthday and a day without the kids. I am not greedy or self centered
but I treat myself special and I thank myself for doing such a good job of taking care of 3 kids and a
husband. :) I also believe that I stopped feeling depressed On my bd because I found a passion for something I want to accomplish before my time here is over (this is besides taking care of my family).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Umm... I totally don't agree with this.  I don't believe birthdays are trying to revisit the day I was born or I would spend it in a hospital!  Rather I believe it's a day to celebrate another year of life and what a great gift that truly is :)

But my birthday ended up being great anyways.

Quoting muzicbox9:

Would it help you to think of the fact that time being 'cyclical' is a man-made concept?  New Year's Day, anniversaries, birthdays etc.etc... These days being celebrated as if we are revisiting them somehow on the spectrum of time is not actually possible. Time moves from beginning to end - with no revisitation of days in between.  Knowing this, you will know that we all can ever only have one birthday - and that would be the actual day we were born.  So ... there is nothing to celebrate anyway. Problem solved.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Happy late birthday to you too!

Quoting Da998:

Happy Birthday! (belated)
I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday was my birthday too. I have always felt the same way too. The 7th is always close to paying the rent and my dh is terrible at planning, so you can imagine. I stopped expecting surprises and started asking for what exactly I want (I try and make a list of things I want throughout the year, i also do this for each person) in case I forget. My dh seems relieved and I am happier. If I plan a day for myself its always a day I pick and usually after my birthday and a day without the kids. I am not greedy or self centered
but I treat myself special and I thank myself for doing such a good job of taking care of 3 kids and a
husband. :) I also believe that I stopped feeling depressed On my bd because I found a passion for something I want to accomplish before my time here is over (this is besides taking care of my family).

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
merryvoice
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm so glad it ended up working out well! I totally understand about this. It's the ONE day in the year that should be all about YOU, and it sucks when you can't get it. Happy belated birthday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)