Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

He just hit a whole new level. I'm scared

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM
  • 39 Replies
my 5 year old was off all day today. I knew he would be. it happens anytime he spends the night at someone's house especially my sils. He was defiant all day and just angry with everything and everyone. I did my best to stay positive ignoring the little things and punishing for big things. I took a more relaxed stance on homeschooling (which really isn't out of the ordinary) with a break after each subject and letting him chose what to do next. some days we need to get through it so we push through I chose the subjects but today wasn't one of those days. I knew not a lot of book work would get done so I leaned more towards activities with just a few books and prayed it would get us through.
but this evening he took it to a whole new level. He was sitting on my bed supposedly doing his word problem book and my 2 year old climbed up there. He got mad at her and yelled at her almost pushing her off. thankfully I caught her because it's a good 3 foot drop to the floor.
I told him he needed to go get in the shower now. He was going to bed early. He started screaming. I told him he had until the count of 3 to head downstairs to the shower or he would be grounded to his room for the rest of the day. He followed me but when we got to the stairs he tried to push me down them! thankfully I caught myself. took him
downstairs to the shower and he refused to get in. He starts screaming and hitting hubby. we put him in his room. He tries to attack to the point we were afraid he was going to seriously injure one of us or himself. I ended up standing outside of his bedroom holding the door closed while he screams "I hate you! I don't want to stink!" and throws stuff around his room.
finally he calmed down enough for the door to be opened. He was grounded to his room for tonight and has extra chores to do tomorrow as well as school work to make up. He ate a rice cake and carrot for dinner in his room. He will not be going to the church movie night tomorrow. he will be cleaning up his room from throwing stuff.
this was a whole new level of violence for him. there was nothing going on sensory wise to trigger this (he has spd), he loves his word problem book so it wasn't a matter of being unchallenged and bored (he's highly gifted), it wasn't related to his anxiety although his impulse control disorder could have definitely played a part. but no matter what it was this behavior is beyond unacceptable. He went to a whole new level tonight with trying to push me down the stairs and seriously injure us.
I really believe there is something more going on with him.
I almost cancelled our newest appointment with the developmental pediatrician but I think it will stay. I need professional help with this child.
has your child ever tried to seriously injure you?
please don't lecture me about discipline techniques. the professionals say they are great for him and spanking is terrible for a kid with spd.
I just wanted to cry but I stayed calm and strong through the whole incident somehow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Well, yes. But with my son we don't think he has any issues besides just needing a swift kick up the behind (not literally). 

He had terrible anger issues and any little thing would set him off. He's 10 now and my husband and I were just talking the other day about how he's changed so much in just a matter of a few months. Our house has become way more peaceful now that he's not pitching fits anymore. 

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM

could they be wrong and he's really autistic instead of just spd?

RutterMama
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I don't have any experience. I'm so sorry you are going through this!

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:25 PM
He was evaluated for autism. the developmental pediatrician said he doesn't have it. I've heard from others (a special ed teacher whose son has autism and who spends a lot of time around him and the school psychologist) that he will most likely get diagnosed with it as he gets older. and nobody is willing to go over this developmental pediatrician because he is really good and knowledgeable in the area. I've thought about trying a different one. this one says my son has many autistic like characteristics likely caused by neurological damage from his high bilirubin levels at birth. He says he will likely never fit in a box or get a diagnosis because of it. He told me to seek counseling because he's going to be a tough kid to raise and other than the ot for his spd there's nothing we can do.

Quoting mariesmama:

could they be wrong and he's really autistic instead of just spd?

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Yes, my 12 year old ( on the 18th) is in meds and has been since he was 7. His anger issues and threats to commit suicide were unmanageable then and have gotten worse over the years. He is severe ADHD, BiPolar and ODD depending on the doctor you speak with. He has had sensory issues, anxiety and depression associated with his disorders. You might want to read the book Magic 123. I' m determined to make some headway his year and get my sweet little boy back. Hang in there momma. Finding the right doctor and getting the right diagnosis will help. Oh, and my sin is also gifted.:) 

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM

My 9 yr old is ADHD, Mood disorder NOS and ODD. Yes he has been very violent before. Two times it has resulted in him being at the ER. When he gets that way, I have to sit on his legs and hold his arms down until he calms down so he doesn't continue to try and hurt me or himself. My husband tends to make him lose his mind worse so I have to call my brother down (he lives on the same street) to get hm under control. He's had less violent outbreaks (now it's just yelling and door slamming) now that his med dosage is up.

JacksMom1221
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
This may sound stupid, but have you evaluated his diet? I've seen research where austism and spectrum disorders improved by changing the children's diets to all organic, no fast food, processed foods, just healthy organic foods. Other than that I'm sorry, I have no advice. I hope things get better for you and him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM
we follow an anti Candida lifestyle. nothing processed, nothing artificial, no gluten, no sugar, very few oils, very few fruits. as much as I can afford is organic with only organic dairy.

Quoting JacksMom1221:

This may sound stupid, but have you evaluated his diet? I've seen research where austism and spectrum disorders improved by changing the children's diets to all organic, no fast food, processed foods, just healthy organic foods. Other than that I'm sorry, I have no advice. I hope things get better for you and him.

lk227
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM

During the the day does he have time to go outside and play with other kids his age? What you describe sounds like normal 5-year-old outbursts to me. My kids do that sometimes. My 4-year-old is in the stage where he likes to fight with his sister often. They could be sitting on the couch and one of them would smack the other for no reason at all. When my kids are bored or tired they can be difficult to deal with- crying, screaming, kicking, etc.  I would've told him what he did was wrong and dropped it. I don't think kids that age responds to being made to do extra chores. I don't know the whole situation, but it seems like something that will change with time. 

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM
He gets time outside with his sister. it's not normal to scream and go into a rage for hours. it's not normal to go from happy to angry over a tiny thing. there's no way I'm going to just tell him what he did was wrong and move on. He doesn't respond to that at all. extra chores he does respond to. He is not a normal child.

Quoting lk227:

During the the day does he have time to go outside and play with other kids his age? What you describe sounds like normal 5-year-old outbursts to me. My kids do that sometimes. My 4-year-old is in the stage where he likes to fight with his sister often. They could be sitting on the couch and one of them would smack the other for no reason at all. When my kids are bored or tired they can be difficult to deal with- crying, screaming, kicking, etc.  I would've told him what he did was wrong and dropped it. I don't think kids that age responds to being made to do extra chores. I don't know the whole situation, but it seems like something that will change with time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN