Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How to get my 8-month old to take a bottle?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

I would eventually like to stop breast feeding, but my 8-month old won't take a bottle.  If I just slowly stopped breast feeding him and placed a bottle around him as much as possible, do you think he'd eventually drink from it? My daughter didn't take a bottle either and I breast fed her until she was 15 months old.  I don't want to breast feed for quite that long again. Any ideas?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Maybe put the pumped milk, or formula, in a sippy? I never had the desire to stop that early, so I have no first hand experience, but you don't want to wean the kid from the breast just to have to wean him from the bottle after a few months. Way to much stress!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonMother10
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM
My son will be 9 months tomorrow and I am thinking of weaning him off my breast when he is one. He won't take a bottle either, but we have slowly been introducing the sippy cup with juice or water. He even takes a bottle of water. I have read that breastfed babies more than likely won't take a bottle, especially if you gave them your breast more often or completely. It's easier to go with the sippy cup.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Skip the bottle and go straight to a sippy. At this point there is no reason to do a bottle.

sugarandstones
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I agree with skipping bottles and going to sippy cups.
saltlifemama
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Don't... go straight to the sippy. That is what i did with my youngest. He never took a bottle.

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Skip the bottle. Why start a habit you'll have to break later? I try to skip the sippy cup.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)