Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Question: if you have a child of any age that

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 33 Replies
2 moms liked this
Still wets the bed, would it ever even OCCUR to you to punish them for something they are doing while asleep?
I read this in another group and was a bit digusted. I wanted so bad to take her task but just left the post. My son didn't stop having accident until the latter part of ten.
He WAS tested that showed a cyst on his kidney , but was told it was mostly because he was a heavy sleeper. The thought never entered my mind to punish. A rubber pad and a stack of towels and extra pj gear next to the bed was all I ever did. The goal was to get us both back to sleep ASAP. All he had to do was get the sheets off the bed in the morning and put them in the washer.
I know how frustrating it is for a parent and child, however I can't imagine punishing a child for doing something while unconscience! It's like punishing a sleepwalker to me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SugarMamaO76
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I know right? As if they WANT to pee all over themself..... I have NEVER spanked or punished a child for having an ACCIDENT. I have how ever spanked my god son over the stuff he does. He has a "bad attitude"..... to say the least. I was babysitting a while back and had put him in time out for hitting the baby. When I left the room he got up off the couch dropped his pants peed on the floor and then just sat back down like there was nothing going on... I was absolutely FLOORED. Accidents are just that accidents.

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I would NEVER punish my child for an accident

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

that's ridiculous !  you cannot punish someone for a physical problem, it would be like punishing a child for vomitting !   Nobody wants to sleep/sit in their own urine ... come on !!  But you can't change stupid people. 

confused632
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

How CAN you punish them for that!?!?!  All we have done (and will be doing 3 more times as we have 4 kids) with our oldest is just put down towels and maybe change his shirt.....he would have a melt down if we tried to change the bed and then no one got sleep for over an hour or more.....so we bathed in the morning....

He now only wets the bed if he is or is getting sick and he is just turned 6.

Bedwetting is an accident and there is no reason to punish for it.  There are steps you can take to help prevent it but jeez......punishing?!  NO

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, I was punished or it when I as younger and it was hard to understand why. I did not know how it was happening myself. So I felt like why am I being punished for something I could not control.

Know that I am an adult and read up on things. I understand why it was happening and would never punish my child for something like that.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

No, I don't punish for something like that. 

chercaruso
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I was a bedwetter as a child.  I didn't stop until the latter part of age 12.  My mother was also a bedwetter for about the same time.  I can tell you right now that I never knew that I was doing it.  She took me to doctor after doctor to make sure there wasn't anything physically wrong.  There wasn't.  And, it is genetic.  I was just a really deep sleeper.  I was so embarrassed about it and never wanted to sleep out or have friends sleep over in case I made an accident.  I could not control it.  My mother never embarrassed me or punished me over it.  I hated it.  Then, it just gradually stopped. 

mommieT
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

my younget dd did it all the up until the week before her tenth b-day, when this was happening this was whole new thing to me i didnt have that problemas a kid and no one in my family had it, my dh told me he had that problem till he was 13. i wanted to smack him for not telling me before hand not that it would have changed anything. i would have still married him and had his kids but at least i would have been prepared and considering we have two before her  this didnt happen to either of them so when it happened to her it threw me way off. i did it all the plastic on the matterss, the waking her up in the middle of the night,  turns out her accidents happen closer to the morning like between 4 am to 6 am. i did the diapers for big kids and we had to wash sheets and blankets daily i was getting worried becausse she was getting depresed about it and it wasnt her fault i just thought it was something she had to grow through i knew it wouldnt last but she was really sad about it when she stopped she was so happy i hated she had to go through thati can imagine how bad she felt and ther was nothing i could do for her.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Wow, that's bizarre behavior, I hope you gave him another LONG time out.

Quoting SugarMamaO76:

I know right? As if they WANT to pee all over themself..... I have NEVER spanked or punished a child for having an ACCIDENT. I have how ever spanked my god son over the stuff he does. He has a "bad attitude"..... to say the least. I was babysitting a while back and had put him in time out for hitting the baby. When I left the room he got up off the couch dropped his pants peed on the floor and then just sat back down like there was nothing going on... I was absolutely FLOORED. Accidents are just that accidents.

MamaDearie
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM

We don't have any bedwetting issues here- thankfully- but if we did I could never imagine punishing a child for it. That is so twisted!

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN