Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Can you get money for recycling...

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

Clear glass jars?  I have a bunch of them that have been washed and such.  I've been using them for other things but I just have too many.  The local recycling center will only take things they can turn in for money.  Everything else they just throw away.  So do you get money for recycling these?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondie.mom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM
In Oregon you don't. Your recycling center only takes things they get paid for? What do they do with cardboard, paper, plastic? I've never heard of that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM

They throw it away.  Sad isn't it?  They say they are in it for a profit not to save the planet.

Quoting blondie.mom:

In Oregon you don't. Your recycling center only takes things they get paid for? What do they do with cardboard, paper, plastic? I've never heard of that.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
lexipooh78
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Here you can recycle glass and they divide it up in to clear and color and you get paid for both. If they have lids those have to be removed.  I dont remember how much you get per pound for them right now.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

They do not throw it away ... they package and re-sell to a facility that can repurpose the product.  Well if there's any smart that's how they go about it.  I 'm not sure about Oregon by-laws.   Do a search on google you'd be surprized, maybe you can't get money for them but instead of throwing them out maybe you can turn them in to get re-purposed

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

They throw it away.  Sad isn't it?  They say they are in it for a profit not to save the planet.

Quoting blondie.mom:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM

They do throw it away.  They mix it all together and tell you not to bother bringing it in because it just goes to the trash.  They throw it in the dumpster along with whatever people bring their recyclables in and their normal trash.

Maybe I can post them on our local facebook yardsale website for free and somebody will need them.  I don't care if I get anything out of them I just don't want them in the landfills.

Quoting Jinxed8:

They do not throw it away ... they package and re-sell to a facility that can repurpose the product.  Well if there's any smart that's how they go about it.  I 'm not sure about Oregon by-laws.   Do a search on google you'd be surprized, maybe you can't get money for them but instead of throwing them out maybe you can turn them in to get re-purposed

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting blondie.mom:

cpflum08
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Not in FL, but my SO sells metal for cash. It's his side job, it's what we life off for the most part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltlifemama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Not where I live here in tn.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM

In my area you only get paid for metals.

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Recycling (for money) is such a waste. I brought in hundreds of crushed, neatly bagged cans... saved them for weeks... and I got like 45 cents a pound, haha. I dunno why the hobos do it. We have recycling with our trash service and they take glass. I dunno if it has value though.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I'm not in it for the money.  I'm in it because I don't want these to go to the landfill.  Our recycling center won't take it unless it has monetary value .

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Recycling (for money) is such a waste. I brought in hundreds of crushed, neatly bagged cans... saved them for weeks... and I got like 45 cents a pound, haha. I dunno why the hobos do it. We have recycling with our trash service and they take glass. I dunno if it has value though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN