Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Our Dirty Little Secrets

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 28 Replies

Our Dirty Little Secrets

Ninety-one percent of Americans say they wash their hands after using a public toilet, but an observational study conducted in the six US airports found that only 26 percent of men and 17 percent of women actually did. And here’s something to ponder before you shake someone’s hand during cold and flu season: A recent survey also found that only 24 percent of men and 39 percent of women always wash their hands after they cough or sneeze.

Hand hygiene among doctors is even worse, with 73 percent of pediatric ICU physicians claiming that they soaped up between patients, but when the MDs were secretly observed, only 10 percent actually washed. If doctors and nurses were more diligent about hand hygiene, up to 80,000 Americans lives would be saved each year.

Experts caution patients to ask healthcare providers a simple question before any hands-on exam: “Did you wash your hands?” That’s important even if the provider is wearing gloves, reports Texas Health Resources Infection Control.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/easiest-cheapest-way-stay-healthy

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XVAmomma
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM
YIKES!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM

not sure how accurate this story really is...BUT it's worth taking more precautions for sure....you would think health care workers would but i have a feeling this article isnt far off the truth

Quoting XVAmomma:

YIKES!

XVAmomma
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Makes me wonder about caregivers also...teachers, assistants, coaches, trainers... If they change diapers, do they wash between one LO and another? If they havekids with the flu do they keep sanitized? I know that here they don't allow sick preschoolers in daycare while sick but...Do they take the necessary precautions every single time?

Quoting aneela:

not sure how accurate this story really is...BUT it's worth taking more precautions for sure....you would think health care workers would but i have a feeling this article isnt far off the truth

Quoting XVAmomma:

YIKES!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Wow!

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM
that seems like a really low number
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Gross....I'm definitely a hand washer!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamondblue1
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Wow that's crazy
mommy2585
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM

When I sneeze, cough, or wipe my nose with a tissue, I use hand-sanitizer, because it isn't always possible to reach a restroom at that moment. 

sheri305
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Quoting kamrynlily07:

Gross....I'm definitely a hand washer!

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Eh, that does not match my own personal observances. Maybe things are different by area? Not that  my observances count as scientific proof. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN