Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mirena birth control

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 22 Replies
Are you on it ? If so did you like it? Any problems? Or do you wish you would of got it instead of tubal?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I currently have my second Mirena.  I had my first one for the full 5 years.....the day I needed to have it removed, I had the second one put in.  I absolutely LOVE my Mirena.

The day after I had the first one placed, my period shut off like a faucet (right in the middle of it).  I haven't had a single real period in 5.5 years now.  I did have very minor spotting (never needed more than a single panty liner) every 6-8 weeks for the first 6 months.  Since then....nothing.

I also don't get the monthly migraines I was getting while on birth control pills.  I don't have mood swings, my sex-drive has been over-the-top all this time, and I haven't gained any weight. I have never had issues and DH does not feel it during sex.

We are done having babies but don't believe in permanent birth control....so we are using Mirena until I no longer need anything.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Never used it but I have heard bad stories along with good. I don't think I would chose it but that is just me.

sugarandstones
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM
I am torn between what to use. I do not want to get pregnant again after this baby. But in not so sure about getting tubes tied
Kymber3181
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I am debating between paragard and mirena. I would like to use hormone free birth control, but hear mixed reviews on both iud's. I'm torn :/

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM
This

Quoting saltlifemama:

Never used it but I have heard bad stories along with good. I don't think I would chose it but that is just me.

Red_Kitten
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Funny I stumbled across this, I just went on Mirena 4 days ago AND I had my tubes tied 10 years ago!  The tubal took about 6 days to really recover from, but it's been completely permanent, no scares, no accidents, nothing to worry about at all.  The scar is about a half inch wide and inside my belly button so it's not visible now. 

The only issue I've had are double periods for a long time (twice a month, every month).  It's not because of the tubal, just because my body doesn't work right. So, I would suggest reading up on what to expect side-effects wise from Mirena if you go that way.  I thought something was wrong because I've been kind of bloated, but my best friend has one and she said it's normal and goes away in a few days.

I guess if I had it to do over, maybe I'd just use Mirena, because the light to no periods idea is pretty appealing, and look at me.....tubes tied and I ended up on it anyway!!!

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I have it - I have had little to no problems with it - love the fact that I bought my last box of tampons a year ago and the box is still 90% full.   I still eventually would like to get a tubal just to e 100% sure

Armadillo79
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I LOVED IT! I had it for 5 straight years, and then another 1 for 3 1/2 years. I got that one taken out last April to get pregnant and I got pregnant in SEPT. I won't go back on it until we have another baby. The only thing that sucks ASS is the day you put it in. At least for me. I had period cramps times 20!

kitty8199
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Have one. Hurt like hell when they put it in. Got cramps for several months. Would bleed after sex once in a while.
It's been almost 2 years now and I forget it's there. Haven't had a period since 2010, before I got pregnant. Got it 6 weeks after birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Quoting Kymber3181:

I am debating between paragard and mirena. I would like to use hormone free birth control, but hear mixed reviews on both iud's. I'm torn :/

Talk to you GYN about what would be best for you.  My doc and I discussed my periods, which were cramps and heavy before getting any type of IUD.  doc explained that paragraphs often makes periods heavier and more crampy....but Mirena often makes periods lighter and helps with cramps.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)