Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is she genuinely nice or just weird ?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

DD has a friend from school she adores. They play together, DD has been to her house for sleepovers etc ... the first time I spoke to her mom on the phone, she kept me on the line for about 40 minutes (very chatty) then I met her and we talked for maybe another 1/2 hour, she's nice, she runs a home daycare, loves kids ... she thinks my DD is the sweetest thing, fine.

So yesterday was DD's birthday party and the mom decided to stick around ... I know she had asked me if I minded, she said she wanted to get inspired for her daycare I said fine.  I just didn't think she would stay for the whole thing, nonetheless, she was great.  She was "herding" the kids, picking up after them, she helped clean up, she took pictures, etc.  While at the party we talked about extra curricular activities and I mentioned DD's gym. I told her I'd give her the info.  She called me at home last night after the party to say thanks and apologize if I felt she took over.  She called again 20 mins later just to say that if I was ever stuck she'd be more than happy to babysit DD.  She called me on my cell phone this morning at work once to see if I had the info on the gym class and the second time to tell me she will come along for the class tonight.

I just don't know what to think ... is she just genuinely just like super nice and helpful or is she a little overbearing ? Thing is every Monday night during DD's gym class, Dh and I use this as our date night, we go eat a candlelit dinner at the restaurant next door now I'm half worried she'll tag along tonight ...

what do you think ?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Doubtful, she's a helicopter parent. She is trying to be genuinely nice....she is probably pretty lonely , the way it sounds, tbh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I dont think she is being overbearing but just trying to be friends. Maybe she feels she found a person she can relate too and wants to be besties or good friends. Thats my take on it.

thecoffeefairy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM
I agree with the posters above. She's just really nice and probably needs adult interaction. It's easy to get stuck in parent/ daycare provider mode.
unsuspected
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I think she needs a friend.
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Quoting wifeynmommie80:

I dont think she is being overbearing but just trying to be friends. Maybe she feels she found a person she can relate too and wants to be besties or good friends. Thats my take on it.

I'm teethering between the two options ... I feel like she is just a super nice person who loves kids and I guess who took a liking to me too.  She is just moving a little too quickly for my taste.  I just hope she doesn't tag along at the restaurant tonight.  Would it be rude to let her know this is date night for DH and I ?

ambertreas76
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

She sounds like she really needs a friend.  She sounds super nice!!  

unsuspected
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I don't think that would be rude. Just give her the heads up before the class so that shes not geared up for a mommy date.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting wifeynmommie80:

I'm teethering between the two options ... I feel like she is just a super nice person who loves kids and I guess who took a liking to me too.  She is just moving a little too quickly for my taste.  I just hope she doesn't tag along at the restaurant tonight.  Would it be rude to let her know this is date night for DH and I ?

breebree04
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I agree that she probably just wants to be friends and maybe alittle overly excited about the idea of becoming friends with you. If you and your hubby usually dont stick around while your dd is at gym I would let her know that right away! Just nicely tell her that that is yours and hubbies alone time

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Doubtful, she's a helicopter parent. She is trying to be genuinely nice....she is probably pretty lonely , the way it sounds, tbh.

She is a helicopter parents,  that I know - she told me already her kids never get babysat.  She is slightly older than me (I'm guessing 43 years old or so...)  we are so not the same style but hey then again, I'm also the type to help out, host sleepovers and playdates, keep kids over for lunch, dinner etc and I don't care.   We'll see what gives

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I did tell her already ... that while DD is at gym we go next door to eat every Monday.  I don't think I specified how important it is for us and that it's date night.  I can totally see her tagging along with us at the restaurant ... I will make sure I mention it tonight nicely but make sure the message is clear

Quoting breebree04:

I agree that she probably just wants to be friends and maybe alittle overly excited about the idea of becoming friends with you. If you and your hubby usually dont stick around while your dd is at gym I would let her know that right away! Just nicely tell her that that is yours and hubbies alone time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)