Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

any moms.of preemies?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 14 Replies
Are there any moms of preemies on here and at what age did they start to catch up? My ds was 30 weeks and 4 days when delivered and is now 5 months old and I'm just a little frustrated that he doesn't do everything a "normal" baby does at this age and also just sick of hearing everyone else saying what their kids were doing at the same age. Has or is anyone dealing with same issues?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmesCSki
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Hi there! I'm a preemie mom. My DD arrived via emergency c-section at 34w2d. She's now 9 months old and is doing amazingly well. It is hard to not compare your preemie to other babies his or her age, but really try to make an effort. Preemies are on their own timeline and develop differently than full term babies. You should join the Moms of Preemies group on CM, we talk all about various issues and frustrations with preemies but we also celebrate how special and amazing our little babies are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM

My daughter was born at 30 weeks.  You have to remember, at least for the first year, he's two months behind.  So he's 5 months old, but his adjusted age is 3 months.  He should be doing things that a three month old does, or close to it.  Some thing may come later and some may come earlier.  

At around 7 months, my daughter sort of did everything all at once.  Sitting up, crawling around, etc.  She didn't walk until she was 15 months old.

This is a whole different ball field now.  You can't compare him to "normal" kids, because the age is off.  After he starts walking, it shouldn't make a difference.  Just let him do things at his own pace, he'll get there.  And when people say their kid this or that at whatever age, remind them that he was a preemie and will be two months behind for a while.  If they've never had a preemie, they may not understand.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
My son was born at 31 weeks and is now 5 years old. He was in PT, OT, and Speech therapy until he was 3. He still goes to OT twice a week and PT once a week. Don't compare your baby to any other, full-term or preemie. Every baby reaches goals and milestones when they are ready. My son didn't sit up until he has 8 months old and didn't walk until almost two. Now he's 5 and he's pretty much caught up with his peers other than some physical issues and a few sensory quirks.
shimmifairy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM

My daughter was 5 weeks early, and you have to remember that they are  - literally - behind children who were full term....If your child had not been early he would only be 5 m old, not 7....If you think of him as that old, is he still behind? Chances are he's not ;) So be patient, even full terms babies reach milestones at different times...

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:56 AM

well mine were both born at 36 weeks and a couple of days.  Because every child develops differently, etc. sometimes that doesnt really play a role, it depends on how much you are involved in teaching/helping them more.  My kids are 1 day apart as far as who cooked longer and still developed differently even by just 1 day.  Both my kids could read some before they were 2 but I started young with early learning DVDs, flashcards, boooks, etc.

lexipooh78
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:52 AM

My DS was just over a month early and is now 2. As a previous poster said you have to keep in mind his adjusted age. Also all kids develop at different rates. DS did some thing really early, like rolling back to belly at 2 wks and holding his head up for a long time really early on, but he didn't hold his own bottle until he was 8 months and could not hold himself up in a sitting position until about 7 months. He was actually crawling and pulling himself to a standing position before he could sit on his own.  I know how frustrating it is to hear other moms talking about what there little ones who are the same age are doing. My nephew was born full term 6wks before DS so they were compared all the time. BY the time DS was 1 developmentally he was all caught up and still is. He is just on the small size.

Guammommy
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:36 AM

My son was born at 32 going to be 33 weeks. Saw my Dr. On Saturday found put what sex and then my Dr. Said come in Monday at 9:00am, the Dr. sent me to the hospital,got admitted. Not even two hours of checking in hooked to fetal monitor I was given a steroid shot to help boost my son lungs, wasn't able to eat except Jell-o and ice chips cause in case my son decide to come we can have the c-section done,got another steroid shot then ultrasound,then finally we both had drop on the oxygen level. So we were rushed to the operating room to have him, when he was born he was rushed awayed. My son will be three years old in March 2013. He his healthy, full of energy, you wouldn't think he was a preemie. I never saw that I should see him different there was a big difference from his sisters the gap they where 13&18 when their brother was born. My little man just blossom so quickly we look at him and say he don't look preemie he has beaten the obstacles. 

IAMmomtotrips
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:42 AM
My girls were 31 weeks early, but being triplets were the size of normal 28 weekers! It took them until about 2 years to fully catch up to same age peers. Just go off their adjusted age to explain their development. At 6, they are completely healthy and developmentally on point for their age!
lovebeingamu178
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hello iam mum of preemie twins delivered emergency c-section at 34 weeks and 4 days John weighting 1.800kgs and Emily weighting 2.600kgs they  yeah iam sick of people comparing there kids at that age what they were up to ! John is really behind to his sister there now just turned 2 on the 7th January Emily has been running around since 18mths of age John isn't walking yet so it's last thing we need is hearing from other people comparing there kids to preemies they really don't know what there talking about and yeah it is really good to read other people on this forums 

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My son was born at 34weeks. He caught up about 18m to 2yrs. He was slower rolling over, crawling and walking. Everything else was about normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)