Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Ideas for a great family vacation?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 48 Replies

We have decided to take a vacation over my kids' Spring break (last week of March.)  I'm super excited because we haven't traveled at all since my 2 year old was born.  BUT, we can't decide on a destination, and to be honest, it's kind of taking  the fun out of it.

Do you have any great ideas?  We have done Disney and just about everywhere in Florida.  We live in Wisconsin, so while our destination doesn't have to be warm, I would like it to be warmer then home!  My kids are 12, 9, and 2.  I would kind of like to go somewhere that my big kids could learn something, or experience something brand new.  We would like to stay within the 48 contiguous states - my DH travels a lot for work and I want to use his frequent flier miles and hotel points :) 

I would love any suggestions! 

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GraceStrickland
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Whale and Dolphin watching day tours are cheaper than you might think, and most coastal cities have them.  You could go to the Washington DC area and go to all the free Smithsonian museums, many of which are very friendly to kids and adults of all ages, and then the free aquarium and free zoo.  If you rent a car you can drive an hour and go Whale watching, or 3 hours and go to assateague island and see all the wild ponies and the wildlife in the marshes.  Lots and Lots to do in a small area!  There is even a park about 30 minutes from DC that has a life size Thomas the tank train kids can climb on and in.

We like to travel a lot too, and have found lots of fun in random small towns that have their own unique culture.  There is a lot more than the largely advertised tourist attractions!

As far as weather, it would be warmer than Wisconson but of course nothing like Florida. :-)

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Head to DC....its generally warmer and there is a ton to do

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Hmmmm.... I really don't know what states you'd like to go to, but I'd think most southern states would be warmer than Wisconsin anytime of the year.  Here are a few suggestions, but what I'd really do is just try to think of things you know you guys would want to do and then find a place that has those things.

• Hiking & White Water Rafting in Colorado
  • Mountain climbing or visiting Indian reservations near the Four Corners and Grand Canyon
  • Tide Pooling, Scuba Diving or learning to surf in Southern California
mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

how about minnesota the megamall has everything

chinosruca
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have said Hawaii....but since you want to stay on ghe mainland, maybe......California? Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Disneyland, Sea World, and they have a lot of other cool stuff: Vinyards, moutains, lakes, Hollywood, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysweet1s
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Wow, lots of great ideas already! Keep them coming!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysweet1s
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM
One of the thoughts that I had was Williamsburg. I see that is only a few hours from D.C. - maybe we could combine the two?

Quoting GraceStrickland:

Whale and Dolphin watching day tours are cheaper than you might think, and most coastal cities have them.  You could go to the Washington DC area and go to all the free Smithsonian museums, many of which are very friendly to kids and adults of all ages, and then the free aquarium and free zoo.  If you rent a car you can drive an hour and go Whale watching, or 3 hours and go to assateague island and see all the wild ponies and the wildlife in the marshes.  Lots and Lots to do in a small area!  There is even a park about 30 minutes from DC that has a life size Thomas the tank train kids can climb on and in.

We like to travel a lot too, and have found lots of fun in random small towns that have their own unique culture.  There is a lot more than the largely advertised tourist attractions!

As far as weather, it would be warmer than Wisconson but of course nothing like Florida. :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EllesmomJen
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

We are planning a trip to the Florida keys, there are a couple of nice Marriott resorts, my hubby has tons of rewards so those are the hotels we stick with. Good luck, planning can be frustrating!

GraceStrickland
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I haven't been to Williamsburg since I was 13, but I loved it then.  There is just so much hands on stuff to wander around and do.  The East Coast is so crammed together so you get a lot of action for your money!

christineT79
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Would you consider a cruise? I took a cruise a few years ago with my hubby & my step-daughter who was 10 at the time & we had a blast. My hubby's whole family also went with their kids & the age ranges were from 2 yrs old up to teens. The kids had a ton of fun. There was alot to do on the boat & on the islands. They are also very affordable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)