Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Family nite! With no technology! Do you dare?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have 2 boys 15 and 12, and my hubby and I.  We all are gamers!  We love playing games.  I was raised in a gaming family.  My hubby has always been invovled with vgs.  We play as a family and separate. I was raised playing cards, computer games and nintendo, when that finally got here. lol  So playing computer and video games is usually how we spend time together.  Other thank homework, chores, and cooking and eating. 

I talked with my hubby on having a non tech day. I giggled and said ok evening. I suggested board games or minute to win it games. I found some that are pretty fun and challenging. I use to come up with obstacle courses for me and my siblings. Then time each other. lol We could make dinner as a family then play games and or build things.  Would any of you do this and what are some of your ideas?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

We spend 25 hours every week disconnectd from the world spending time as a family.  Every Shabbat (sunset Friday through sunset Saturday) we turn off the computers, televisions, phones and reconnect as a family.  We have meals as a family, attend services, hang out as a family, take walks, play card and board games, etc.  It is an awesome time to reconnect with G-d and each other.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
we have more technology free time than time with technology in our house. the tv is usually only on for our Friday night dinner and movie night. other than that my laptop is on since I use it for homeschooling a ton but everything else is off
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

We did it for 1 full week last year ... no electronics what-so-ever from the time I got home from work to the time DD went to bed.  No TV, DS, Wii, computer, basically nothing with a screen ... we played board games and played outdoor games, did arts and crafts.   I gotta admit that once DD was in bed for about an hour, we did turn on the TV.

orcadarwin
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

We do it every night after dinner.  We always have, and always will.  

justahousewife
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Dinner at the table and games after almost every night. Sometimes we just spend the evening chatting over dessert. Between homework, chores and eating there is not a lot of time before bed anyways so its easy to go gadget free.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
squadiwife
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM

That is really good. We have a family game night every Saturday. The kids love it and it is a good time to connect that little bit extra. 

mysweet1s
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Last fall, I made a rule that there was to be no screens until 7:30 at night.  The kids are spending more time reading, they always ask to help me make dinner, and we linger at the table after dinners.  In the fall, before it got cold (we're in Wisconsin), we spent our evenings outside playing sports (unlike me, my kids are jocks!),and going for walks.  I think we all love it.  At first, they ran to their electronics at 7:30 sharp, but now we sometimes don't have electronics on at all at night.  My DH travels a lot for work, and it's easier when he's gone, he'll get there :)   

Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

We play video games as well but we limit our time on what we can play and we do spend a lot of family time without electronics or anything. The phones go on silent or off and a lot of the times I accidentally leave my cell at home. 

We take our son to go get a balloon from the balloon lady at the mall or walk around the mall for fun. Hiking and backpacking is the newest adventure we are going to take. I use to do it a lot as a kid and I want my kids to like it too. There are a lot of fun events around Spring and Summer so the kiddo and I tend to go hang out and check out food fairs and more. The Log Cabin in Boise also throws some literature events for kids to meet authors and writing fun. I mean even staying home and playing board games is a lot of fun and laughs. Heck we even go to ToysRUs and not to shop but to play lol. 

As for our TV time it is limited to an hour even if it is games or just TV. No cable and my son goes to school online so that is the one exception. 

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Our family is a big gamer family. We all have our own xbox's, ds's and tablets. I do limit them though. No playing on school days and over the summer I really cut it back.

We have never done a family game night. We do however go camping for a few weeks every summer. The rule is no electronics period. We have a great time fishing, roasting marshmallows and connecting as a family.

MamaDearie
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Unless music blaring is considered a use of technology, we have tech free times all the time! We love board games, silly make-it-up as you go games, dancing around like maniacs, etc. We like to cook together too. We only have 1 tv and 1 computer for the whole family and no gaming systems of any kind. I am a big believer in actual face-to-face interaction when raising kids.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)