Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

7 Week old might have a cold what do I give him

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok My son is 7 weeks old and he is congested sounding and he is coughing a little more than normal... He is not running a fever.. He is a little bit fussier than normal... Is there something I can give him that's over the counter or is this a doctor thing???    I don't want to be one of those moms that calls the doctor every time he breathe's but I am a new mom and so scared of doing something wrong...  Please Help me not be known as the crazy over protective mom...

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnAngelsKiss
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM
For the nasal congestion take him in the bathroom, close the door, turn on hotest water in the tub & sink. Hold him in the bathroom letting the steam fill the bathroom. He may cry it will help loosen his nasal congestion. O & give him fluids. Make sure there is extra water dilute everything for the day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tanper29
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Dr take him to the dr. Dont be worried about coming across as a nervous mom. If u the question crosses ur mind do i go to the dr u go to the dr. Ur doing what is is the best interest of ur child.
virgochild79
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Well, I'm one of those moms who calls the doctor every time my kids are sick so, my answer is to take him to the doctor.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Nothing. Saline in his nose and suction frequently. But a humidifier in his room will really help. I don't even believe in Vicks tbh.
chinosruca
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM
My daughter got a "cold" when she was 2 weeks old. I didn't care that I came accross as a worries mom.....I took her to the doctor. She ended up in the emergency room and then admitted to the hospital because she had severe upper and lower respiratory infection. Her oxegyn levels got too low and they had a hard time regulating her. I personally would not risk it when thw baby is that young. Now she is 2+ and is sick. I am not a cautious/worried. I keep a humidifier in the room at night and just keep her hydrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Give him love. And don't stress out.
ashleysmommy123
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

As long as he is eating, making wet diapers, doesn't have a fever or a purple rash you really don't need to take him to a DR.  They won't prescribe him anything.  You can use saline in his nose to relieve congestion and suction out the boogers!!  I have done that with my now 10 week old who has a cold. Also a humidifier works good or a steamy bathroom like someone else suggested.   

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I would watch him really close. If anything seem even the tiniest bit off, I would take him to his pedi. You can not be to careful with them that young. I know from experience how a simply cold can change really fast with a baby that young.

christineT79
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Don't ever feel bad about calling your Dr. Especially with a new born & breathing issues. That's what the Dr's are for. It's a business, that is what you pay them to do. I'm a first time mom & I called my Dr when I first brought home my baby because she was sleeping too much. lol. Everyone thought I was crazy but I don't care. It put my mind at ease to have her checked out. If you are breastfeeding you can put one drop of breastmilk into each nostril a few times a day to help with congestion. Otherwise some saline spray for his little nose & steam in the bathroom. Make sure he's not running a fever & call your Dr if your worried. Good luck momma :)

yperez0209
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Yes there are some things that you can do at home that will help him. But we are talking about a 7 weeks old baby. Go to the doctor. The hell with being known as the crazy over protective mother. They know me by name at my Ped. office and that's fine with me. I send them cookies every Christmas and they love me.

Now seriously, if he is congested he can be developing an ear infection or something else. Don't hold off on a baby that's so tiny. If he was 6 months old I would advise you differently. If he doesn't have a fever right now do the steam shower thing. Or use one of those Vicks humidifier things. But please have him seen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN