Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

birth control for kids

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debmom07
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM

what do you thing of using birth control to regulate a period for 14year daughter.  my Jesse was having her period for a month at a time and so when I went ot the doctor they checked her tyhroid and iron level. all good there. wihh her being a virgin the vag exam would be more painful, so after 3 more weeks of thinking it over we decided to give a try for a 3month trial and see what happens. this girl has more maturatiny in her pinky than most adults I know. I dont think hse is going to go out a start having sex. She was tired of always having a period. just wondering what you guys think.

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM
3 moms liked this

My daughter (17) is on the pill to help with her periods.  They were so painful she could barely stand it.  She's not sexually active (as far as I know) and I have no issue with her being on it.  Her pediatrician recommended it.  Of course, there is that added bonus of protection if she does decide to become sexually active. 

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Bcp to help with painful and or heavy periods is a medical need and yes I agree. Too me that is no diff than taking a pain killer for a headache.
Even if it was for BC I would probably do it but I would have a very frank conversation about STD and safe sex practices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
I have no idea how DH handles what's going on with his health. He's been diabetic for 21 years and now he has celiac disease. :(
Yesterday at 8:59 PM
by Linnette on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Bump!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Victoriaoh
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I started using BC to regulate my cycle when I was 15. I was very irregular. My cycle ranged from 26-90 days. I never knew when it was going to start. There are many reasons for teens to start BC. I know I wouldn't want to have my period for a whole month. I see nothing wrong with your daughter using BC.
christineT79
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I say yes. I started the pill when I was 15 for cysts on my ovaries. It helped shrink them & prevent them. I wasnt sexually active at the time but I stayed on the pill for the next 15 years & that is why I just had my first baby at the age of 33. You don't have to tell her that they are to prevent pregnancy yet if you think that talk should come later. You can just tell her that they are pills to help with her cycles. When it comes to talk about sex & birth control then you tell her that the pills prevent pregnancy & condoms prevent pregnancy & STD's.

garrettleesmom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I was on birth control pills way before i
Became sexually active to regulate my very heavy periods. It did not cause me to have sex quiker just because of the birth control. I was grateful for the regular periods.
Knightquester
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I did the birth control pill in hopes of regulating my period when I was 15 years old and I didn't loose my virginity until I was 19 years old.  It didn't regulate my periods or help in the least so I stopped taking it after a year of trying it out.

The pill isn't going to make somebody want sex or to become sexually active; not if you've raised your child to not be that way.  I think it's worth a try in your daughters case to do see if it helps regulate her periods.

Even now I have irregular periods and I've tried everything.  If there were even a gleam of hope that the pill would cause my periods to be less painful and more regular then I'd try it even now, and I had my tubes tied over 8 years ago, lol.

thecoffeefairy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I think it's a perfectly acceptable reason to use bc.
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM

This was the same reason my doctor put me on the pill when I was 16. My periods were really heavy and they lasted for 2 weeks during some cycles.  I would also have monthes where my cycle would end and then start up again a week and a half later.  I would end up using 2 jumbo packs of pads a month.  If my daughter ends up with the same conditon I have, I will help her anyway I can even if that means putting her on the pill to regulate her cycle.

Quoting Victoriaoh:

I started using BC to regulate my cycle when I was 15. I was very irregular. My cycle ranged from 26-90 days. I never knew when it was going to start. There are many reasons for teens to start BC. I know I wouldn't want to have my period for a whole month. I see nothing wrong with your daughter using BC.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)