Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

2 year old won't nap...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 11 Replies

Anyone here have a young toddler that won't nap? He gets up around 8 and still manages to stay awake until 9 every night?!? I am new to being a SAHM and have a 6 week old as well. 

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

that was both my kids..

DS stopped napping at 15 months old.  and DD stopped napping at a year... she napped on occasion, but nothing was ever set in stone.  neither got irratable either... even if they both were napper, by 2 years old, i wouldnt have allowed naps.. both my kids are early risers too, 6-7am and in bed by 9.

doesnt bother me. dont force a nap...

ShanaMomOf2
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

It's weird, he hits a point where you can tell he is starting to get a little tired around 6 and then gets this boost of energy out of nowhere! Lol 

import1a92
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM
My DD at 2 years was phasing out naps. Every once in a while when she is overly active in the mornings will she go down for an afternoon nap. It would take me up to 6 books until she would pass out on her worse active days. She would wake up at 6am and go to bed around 10pm.

If you can afford to burn some gas, I would say take them out for a 30 minute drive.

Try setting up a new nap routine around mid-afternoon after lunch, a physically active activity and then some quiet time activity like coloring, putting together a puzzle or play-doh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM

My dd stopped napping before she turned 2.  

Marimaru
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Isabelle quit napping at about 18 months, and started again when she was a few months from turning 3.  She did pretty well then.  Now most days (she's 3) she at least has a quiet rest.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Haha, I had two of them that never napped. When my son was in daycare at 2 they would have him go sit in the nursery with the babies so that he wouldn't disturb the other kids while they napped. 

When he got into Pre-K and Kindergarten he would have to sit quietly in the back while the other kids laid on their mats because he wouldn't nap. 

My daughter won't nap at home but at school she does (she's in Kindergarten).

3sonsmommy
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Try enforcing a quiet time for him to be in his room, I would have my son lay on his bed and tell him I would check on him in 20 min. If he was tired he would fall asleep, if not I would let him play quietly in his room or watch a movie while the other kids slept. He needed a nap about every 2-3 days. and he would get up around 7am and be up till 10pm. I needed quiet time!!

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I don't find it to be odd. Every kids is different. Ds1 stopped napping at 15 or 18months. Even before then he wasnt big on sleep. Ds2(6) still naps when I let or make him. He never seems to have enough sleep.

When ds1 was younger I would put him in his pack in go with Baby Einstein on. He always calmed right down and watched it. Once in a while he even fell asleep.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter stopped napping early.  It was no fun for me!  She'd finally fall asleep in shear exhaustion every 2-3 days around 4:30. My husband would come home and want to wake her up and I would tell him, not unless he had a death wish!  She would get so cranky and whiney and any tiny little frustration would make her have a melt down.

ShanaMomOf2
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

My son just had a meltdown at MIL house and passed out on way home! Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN