Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Swollen fingers UPDATED

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 18 Replies

My fingers are so swollen I can't get my rings off. I've tried soap, butter,  oil. They're starting to hurt! My hubby told me to take ibuprofen to cut the swelling down,  hoping that helps soon. They have swelled up before and I took my rings off for a while, but felt naked without them! So I put them back on a few days ago. Big mistake! Anyone else have this problem before, and any suggestions??!!

FINALLy got them off Saturday afternoon. My finger still hurts, red and swollen. I thought I was ripping my finger off, but I didn't want to have either my rings or my finger cut off if they didn't come off! 

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions!

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mizkriz73
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Try soaking your hands in ice water. It should help reduce the swelling.

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Are you pregnant??? Or just swollen?? If ur pregnant make sure your feet are that swollen either due to pre eclampsia. If its just retaining water, start drinking some stuff with caffiene , water pills can make ur kidneys hurt. Maybe just take a midol, cut out the salt. And as crazy as it sounds you want to drink water.  MizKriz has a good idea of soaking it helps blood flow, what I was told by my OB to help with swelling was to soak ur hands and feet in cold water then switch to warm really fast to help reduce swelling as it makes the blood flow better.

SassyLeigh
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM

No I'm not pregnant. I've had this problem for a little while now. Fingers seem to be fatter and they're going numb and tingly. Trying to get the rings off and will be calling for an appointment come Monday to see if there is more going on. I must don't want to cut off my wedding ring and engagement ring. I have rings on my other hand that I can remove just fine. Seems to be just my ring finger.

Quoting wifeynmommie80:

Are you pregnant??? Or just swollen?? If ur pregnant make sure your feet are that swollen either due to pre eclampsia. If its just retaining water, start drinking some stuff with caffiene , water pills can make ur kidneys hurt. Maybe just take a midol, cut out the salt. And as crazy as it sounds you want to drink water.  MizKriz has a good idea of soaking it helps blood flow, what I was told by my OB to help with swelling was to soak ur hands and feet in cold water then switch to warm really fast to help reduce swelling as it makes the blood flow better.

chinosruca
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I agree with ice water.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kermitthemom23
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Id do soapy ice water just cause
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I have not.  Only when I was pregnant.  I like the water suggestion.  Also drinking a bunch of water should help your body flush excess salt out.

ScrChk23

Bump!!

SassyLeigh
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I tried....brrrr! I'm going to let my finger settle for a little bit and try again. I almost had it but couldn't get it over my knuckle and it was really throbbing by then. I'm hoping taking some Ibuprofen and holding it up for a while might help the swelling too, and then try again.

Quoting mizkriz73:

Try soaking your hands in ice water. It should help reduce the swelling.

ScrChk23

I hope it is nothing serious!

SassyLeigh
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I was thinking it might be salt as well, but I really don't eat much salt, or haven't noticed the sodium content in my food. I know I never get the salt shaker out, I'm a pepper girl! I'll have to pay more attention though. I'm also thinking about trying a detox cleanse of some kind. I'm looking it up right now.

Quoting ScrChk23:

I have not.  Only when I was pregnant.  I like the water suggestion.  Also drinking a bunch of water should help your body flush excess salt out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN