Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She loves it.... but it has to go!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 37 Replies

If there are any cat lovers out there please help.

my dd has found a stray kitten and you can tell she is the runt of the litter she is small and she is a little off but she is so sweet. by off i mean a little mentally challenged  for example when she walks she walks funny, when she is playing she bumps her head a lot, when she runs she bumps into walls, chairs, cabinets etc.  when she jumps off things she lands on her hip and rear end instead of her feet like a normal cat and no it's not because she's a kitten she's just off. i think that's one of the reasons i let dd keep her. we all love her but she stinks up the house with her litter box. my dh say's if we can't do anything about the smell she has to go. he is right we already have 2 dog's and the house isn't very big we are still having a problem as to where to put the litter box. I even went out and go the litter box that has a lid and a filter to keep the smell in and a swinging door for her to enter and exit.

I guess my question is do you all  have any suggestions on what to do to keep the smell down in the litter box.

*edit*

reading all these posts made me realize that when i'm not looking she does eat the dog food so yes you guys it might be her diet too we've been giving her kitten food but she always no  matter what goes for the dog food we even feed them at the same time but in different areas and i take all the food away when their done but she still gets past me.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyneedssleep
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Buy a self cleaning cat box!!! We did with our cat and it is amazing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

not sure about the litter box but do you think she maybe blind or deaf? that coudl be causeing the problems with running in to thingsn an  what not.

offrdngal
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Her diet could be causing the bad odor.

It's very possible that this cat has Cerebellar Hypoplasia (one of my cats has it). 

What is Feline Cerebellar Hypoplasia?

Feline cerebellar hypoplasia is a non-progressive, non-contagious neurological condition that results in walking and balance problems.

A kitten is born with “CH” when her cerebellum, the part of the brain that controls fine motor skills and coordination, is underdeveloped at birth.

An cerebellum’s growth can be stunted by a number of factors, most commonly if the mother contracted the feline distemper virus while pregnant or if there was some sort of trauma to the kittens while they were in the womb.

Consequently, an underdeveloped cerebellum can result in underdeveloped or complicated mobility. CH cats are known for their “drunken sailor” walk, which is why they’re known endearingly as “wobbly cats.”

The severity of a kitten’s CH can vary greatly — even among litter mates. While some cats may only have a slightly impacted gait, others may have significant trouble getting around, if they’re able to walk at all. It’s important to remember that the cat isn’t sick, weak or hurt; she’s simply uncoordinated.

CH cats may also experience head tremors, the uncontrollable shaking of the cat’s head when she’s trying to focus. Again, some cats may experience mild cases, others may be more severe. (Consequently, some think CH cats may have vision issues. If you think this is an issue with your cat, speak to your vet.)

Unless a CH cat has other health issues, her life expectancy is the same as a cat’s without CH. Since the condition is non-progressive, it will never get worse — and in some cases, owners say that their cat became more capable over time.

A CT scan or MRI is the only way to officially diagnose cerebellar hypoplasia; however, many vets are familiar with the symptom’s characteristics so those tests are often not necessary. Yet it is important to understand there are some diseases and conditions that may mimic CH.

One of the great things about CH cats is that they don’t seem to know that they’re any different from other cats. Even though they may think they’re normal, depending on the severity of their CH, they may be somewhat limited in ability and learn how to do things differently. For example, some CH cats don’t have the coordination to jump – so instead they become great climbers. Consequently, CH cat owners may find ways to help their cat become more capable. You can find more topic-specific help here.

Click this video to watch a fantastic video about a CH cat named Charley.

There isn’t a treatment for this condition; however, many owners will tell you that there doesn’t need to be one. They’ll say their CH kitties are some of the sweetest cats you’ll ever meet, and what they lack in coordination they make up in personality. You can read their stories here. And if you’re not convinced, here are 10 reasons why you should adopt a CH cat.

Since many people are still learning about this condition — and because some shelters don’t adopt out special needs animals, many kitties with CH are needlessly euthanized every year. While it’s not an extraordinarily common condition, cats with this condition do require a special owner who’s devoted to providing the best care possible for the cat.

If you’d like to adopt a CH cat in your area, please check out this list of adoptable cats with cerebellar hypoplasia

Lynette
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM

These are great.  A litter box with a lid is not something cats generally like, traps the smell with them when they go(think like an outhouse).

Baking soda added to the litter can help.

My cat was very clutzy as a kitten.  Running into things etc.  but when she got older she outgrew that.

Quoting mommyneedssleep:

Buy a self cleaning cat box!!! We did with our cat and it is amazing

moonlitnitz
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Baking soda works
snowpeasmom
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM
i taught my cats to go outside, like the dogs, no litter box needed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Baking soda and scoop it 2-3 times a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Clean it out daily. Some cats if they were seperated from their mom young seemed to not learn to cover their litter, so if you could afford a self cleaning litter box that may help, but I'd still empty it daily. We have two cats and two dogs and you know when the cats take a dump. LOL but our house is small too so you usually know when a personal does too. LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM

does it have all its whiskers still, lack of whiskers can cause it to run into things

chinosruca
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Get some good cat litter. The littee we have is super good at controlling odor. The one I have right now is Fresh Step Crystals. Works well (very expensive though). Also, The Worlds Best Cat Litter (yes, that is the name) is really good as well. You can buy a baking soda specifically for litter boxes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)