Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

baby shower for mom giving baby up for adoption-

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 60 Replies

I have a friend who is a single mom of 2 boys, one of them special needs. She just told us that she is 18 weeks pregnant, but has decided to give the baby up for adoption. She wants to have an "adoptive mom baby shower"- not for gifts for the baby, but for gifts for herself, such as maternity clothes and other things a pregnant woman needs. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone heard of this before? 

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sj218
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM
9 moms liked this
So she's gotten knocked up three times and wants everyone to support her poor decision making? That just sounds selfish and unreasonable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
That's odd. A shower is for the baby not mom. Otoh on friends when Phoebe had the babies for her brother. They had a after the baby is born shower and gave her things she could use....I still think its kinda tacky
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fourbyfour
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM
5 moms liked this

Sounds like a mooch. Tacky...

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds rediculous. And tacky

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM
13 moms liked this

If she was a SURROGATE I'd be all for a party for her. Her having an oops baby is a her-problem. She found a home for the baby, and that's great, but she can waddle to the consignment shop and get some used maternity clothes if she needs some.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Ummm, wow I thought this was going to be a quesiton if the mom was adopting the baby, not the other way around. I haven't heard of something like this except for a surrogate mother who was hired and it was like relaxing spa stuff that she got. It seems kind of needy because I mean most showers are when you are 7-8 months pregnant not at 4-5 when you start needing new clothes. It would honestly rub me the wrong way and I would just be like I don't think it's a good idea. I think it's a great thing she's doing but maybe having a little party after the baby is adopted would be better. I mean who knows, she could still change her mind and then end up having another shower after she decides to keep the baby. So to me it seems inapropriate. If she's having an open adoption (which I think most are anymore) maybe she could throw one or have one with the adoptive mother. I'm sure that a few peope would get some little things for her then, but no I don't think it should be about her like that. My opinion though....

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM
6 moms liked this
I thought this was for the adoptive mom also. I don't think your friend deserves a Baby Shower.
DragonMother10
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Wow.....just.wow. I can understand having a baby shower to give stuff for the baby and to give to the adoptive family. But for herself? No. She can go to Goodwill and buy maternity clothes there. Or like I mostly did, wear big shirts.
wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Assuming you are a great friend and you will not say what some others are saying in this forum to her face, though DO I agree with them .  I would say, if you are gonna doit , I certainly wouldn't spend a lot.

Since she isn't keeping the baby , then thats all she does need MATERNITY CLOTHES, just hit up a thrift store , . This is a new one, so I mean its just kinda wierd that someone wants a "mother" shower for herself when she won't even keep the baby.

CHLOES_MOM2008
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't think she deserves a babyshower. The adoptive mom deserves a babyshower.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN