Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

The infamous pacifier ..

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
When do u take the "paci" away ????
Does age matter?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Either when the baby doesn't need it (can self-sooth) or when you want the baby to learn to self-sooth.  I didn't use a pacifier, but I remember when I stopped sucking my thumb to help me stop crying (I was 5 or 6)

Newbie-SM
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM
If she doesn't receive the "paci" then she sucks her thumb. Good? Bad? Let her stop when she's ready?

Quoting MrsJoe125:

Either when the baby doesn't need it (can self-sooth) or when you want the baby to learn to self-sooth.  I didn't use a pacifier, but I remember when I stopped sucking my thumb to help me stop crying (I was 5 or 6)

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I don't think it's good or bad.  I kind of used a pacifier with my four, but none of them were REALLY interested; only my second played with it in her mouth, otherwise, they just seemed to think it was just another toy.  Anyway, like I said, I sucked my thumb and just stopped when I didn't need it anymore.  I knew that I sucked my thumb when I was ready to stop crying and one day I just stopped crying without sucking my thumb.  So I didn't do it after that.

Yes, I would just let her stop when she's ready.  If she goes longer than you think she needs to, you can talk to her about it and encourage her in the direction you want her to go.  In that case, I would be careful not to push too hard or too often, but otherwise, yes, that's what I would do.  Other moms might have other ideas about it, but this is pretty much how I raise my kids and they're healthy, happy individuals.

Quoting Newbie-SM:

If she doesn't receive the "paci" then she sucks her thumb. Good? Bad? Let her stop when she's ready?

Quoting MrsJoe125:

Ginachan
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I took my sons pacifier away at 4 months old, because he kept losing it about every hour during the night, and would cry inconsolibly til I went into his room and gave it back. I couldn't handle it anymore. So I just took it away, and YES he did cry for the first night... and it was hard! But he got over it! And NO! HE DOES NOT SUCK HIS THUMB!

MsRkg
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I don't remember taking it away. I just know that by the time he was 1 1/2-2 it was gone completely.
Newbie-SM
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Brave mom to last through the cryin lol good job :) wish my SD would leave paci cause she's gettin a light rash around her mouth :(

Quoting Ginachan:

I took my sons pacifier away at 4 months old, because he kept losing it about every hour during the night, and would cry inconsolibly til I went into his room and gave it back. I couldn't handle it anymore. So I just took it away, and YES he did cry for the first night... and it was hard! But he got over it! And NO! HE DOES NOT SUCK HIS THUMB!

Ginachan
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Don't get me wrong! That was a horrible night! I slept on the floor next to his crib, because I felt bad, leaving him all alone, and being so upset. Neither of us slept much that night... but I felt that if he had to suffer, then I has his mommy souldn't ignore it by just shutting the door, and leaving him alone.

Quoting Newbie-SM:

Brave mom to last through the cryin lol good job :) wish my SD would leave paci cause she's gettin a light rash around her mouth :(

Quoting Ginachan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN