Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

11 yr old at Django Unchained

Posted by   + Show Post
Tonight me and my husband went to see Djago Unchained. Amazing movie. However, I got overly distracted with an 11 yr old sitting behind us. That movie is not a kid movie at all. I feel sorry for that child, he has no idea the meaning behind many of the scenes. And I know this because he wouldn't stop asking questions. Why do they keep saying that word? Why did they do that to their face? Why are they doing that to her? These are the questions this boy kept asking. If you want your child to experience a film like this, let him watch it at home.

Rant over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
LadyOphelia
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

We are VERY liberal with the movies our kids watch (9 & 12) BUT we screen certain ones first for blatent sex scenes, or so disturbing that I don't look (and I am a toughie) gore parts. With Tarantino & Rob-Rod, we love them. Our kids LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kill Bill series. But we always make sure we watch his stuff first. They haven't seen Machete (much to my son's dismay) but the sex scenes were a bit much. My kids get the stuff though too. Sometimes better than adults in the movies. Both of them understood Matrix at young ages. We do have to remind them frequently though that not all kids watch what they can watch & if a friend is over they are NOT to watch anything "R" rated out of respect for the other parent. They also know to ask us about movies on Netflix & if it's ok to watch. I was never censored as a kid, neither was hubby. So we do the same for them. I am just now giving my son some of my books to read. I figure I started reading Stephen King younger than he is....so I am selectively giving him stuff of his & Neil Gaiman's to read. Takes all the "taboo" out of it.

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM
sounds like oneself from the parents ..
Mistweave
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

My parents let us watch Freddy movies when I was little but then again I thought the one, two, buckle my shoe thing in kindergarten went one, two, Freddy's coming for you.  The school called my parents for that one...lol

KairisMama
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Agreed. Some kids can handle that fine.

Quoting BethanyJ:

Eh, he's not your kid.  I'd be totally fine with an 11 year old seeing Django. ...though if the boy was asking all those questions, that says to me he's probably not mature enough to see such an adult film if he can't grasp the concepts.  My own almost 10 year old would probably be fine watching Django and my 12 year old would be certainly...but they're pretty well versed in films and both act in the local youth theater.  

elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
This is us exactly.

Quoting LadyOphelia:

We are VERY liberal with the movies our kids watch (9 & 12) BUT we screen certain ones first for blatent sex scenes, or so disturbing that I don't look (and I am a toughie) gore parts. With Tarantino & Rob-Rod, we love them. Our kids LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kill Bill series. But we always make sure we watch his stuff first. They haven't seen Machete (much to my son's dismay) but the sex scenes were a bit much. My kids get the stuff though too. Sometimes better than adults in the movies. Both of them understood Matrix at young ages. We do have to remind them frequently though that not all kids watch what they can watch & if a friend is over they are NOT to watch anything "R" rated out of respect for the other parent. They also know to ask us about movies on Netflix & if it's ok to watch. I was never censored as a kid, neither was hubby. So we do the same for them. I am just now giving my son some of my books to read. I figure I started reading Stephen King younger than he is....so I am selectively giving him stuff of his & Neil Gaiman's to read. Takes all the "taboo" out of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobJar
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM
I want to make it very clear. IF that child could have understood the movie. I'd be fine. However, he didn't understand. And I didn't expect him to. His MOTHER, who was with him should have prepared him more. The N word gets used, A LOT. He kept asking why are they saying that word? There is a part where this guy gets, attacked and eaten by a dog, he kept asking why they didn't shoot the dogs? This was not the movie for him. The Hobbit would've been better.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting Mistweave:

My parents let us watch Freddy movies when I was little but then again I thought the one, two, buckle my shoe thing in kindergarten went one, two, Freddy's coming for you.  The school called my parents for that one...lol

LOL~ My parents didn't censor what we watched growing up. I remember watching Friday the 13th when I was 8.

cshepard
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM
My bf just brought home a bootleg copy, (bad I know!) that someone let him borrow. We are going to watch it later. My ex took my 11 and 15 yr olds to see it. He really doesn't filter what they watch at all. But I don't know if I agree or not since I've not seen it yet. My daughter said it was really sad and she can't believe people treated others that way :(
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:02 PM
My kids are teenagers but I have let them watch PG13 and R rated movies for a while now. But that movie would not intrigue either of my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virgochild79
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea,  I just watched it last night and it isn't appropriate for an eleven year old hell, no Tarantino movie is appropriate for an eleven year old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN