Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My mother insulted my child...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM
  • 21 Replies
...and me as well! I honestly don't know if I'm overacting, but I feel totally hurt. I texted my mother today and told her that my toddler was drivin me crazy, in hopes that I could get a little bit of "hang in there" or "don't worry, it'll pass". Instead, she told me that my daughter was out of control and was wreaking havoc for the entire family and no one could enjoy being around us because she is so out of control! First of all, let me clarify that she is a typical two year old, gives hugs and kisses, loves to cuddle, shares her candy and her toys with her sister, but she is also hyper and into everything. She likes to climb, throws toys, empties cabinets/ drawers, etc. When she misbehaves, we tell her no, explain to her that the specific act she did was unacceptable, and if the verbal discipline does not work, we try time out, followed by a minor ( not out of control) spanking. I am a registered nurse and am in contact and observe toddlers on nearly a daily basis, and do not feel this is abnormal for a child of her age and developmental level. When I replied to my mother that I do know how to discipline my children, that her comment insulted me, and that if she felt that way about any of my children, then she don't need to be around them, she replied that I needed medication. I have no idea where that came from! Am I wrong to be bewildered and insulted??!?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM
2 moms liked this
wow I would be insulted too!
Texanmommaof2
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Okay, just making sure I wasn't being overly sensitive. Although, now I'm feeling pretty dumb for questioning myself considering my mother never really qualified for the "mother of the year award" (she was abusive, used marijuana, and I ended up having to go into foster care and become emancipated at the age of 17). Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to just go forward remembering that I'm her mom, no one else's parenting opinions matter, and I'm doing the best I can do.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this

You are not wrong. I would also be insulted!

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. That's harsh. My son is very similar to your dd. Loving, sweet, but hyper, and in to things a lot. My mother would never say anything like that about her grand babies. I think you need a time our from your mom. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Texanmommaof2
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Lol! I agree Ruby Jewel! The sad thing is, she lives two and a half hours away and sees them only once a month or every other month.
MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd be very hurt too. My mom says pretty hurtful things, too. She's told me that I need supernanny. The other day she told me that our parenting styles are SO different (uhh.yeah like I'm actually there for my kids and I don't drop off my kids at the grandparent's house to go party). 

Anyway, I would be hurt too and I don't think you're overreacting at all. I think they forget that they were in our shoes at one time. I know my parents act like they were the perfect parents and we would NEVER act like that LOL 

kourtneya
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I would be livid if my mother said something like that to me. You know the best way to raise your dd and I think you are doing a great job. When my kiddos were 2, they were just like you are describing. 

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

considering what kind of parent your mother was, I say she can shut the F up about your daughter.  In the future, don't say anything to your mom about your kid driving you up the wall, don't ask for her opinion when your kids are concerned.  What she said was super rude and you have every right to be offended, any mother would.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I wouldn't be very happy either.

Pink.Frosting
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I think as some women and men age, their idea of what is acceptable and not gets skewed.  I don't think you're wrong at all for your feelings and your mom was way out of line.  :0(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)