Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

PlayRoom, do your kids have one ?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 55 Replies

LONG VERSION : when I moved in my new house the basement was an unfinished room ; the man who owned the house before me had layed foam squares flooring ns and and had a swing from the support beams for his grand daughters.  When I moved in I left it like that.  I used the back part as storage and in the main room was my old TV, a futon, and DD's bulky toys.  It was clear when I bought the house that the basement would eventually get renovated.  At the time DD was 6, as time went by DD was playing with the toys less and mostly just using the room as her giant personal TV room, she did love that swing though.

So in 2011 - I took the plunged and had the basement done.  Separated the large room in 3 - 1- a closed up storage area, 2 -  a formal Family room with new furniture & big screen TV , 3- office / CD Room where we keep the computer and DH & I keep our music and Movie collection in bookshelves.  The big TV that was in the basement went up in her room for her personal enjoyment. And DD was bummed at first that the swing was no more but then decided that the new room was so nice, that the swing would be an eye sore. Now my mother sings me the pity song that POOR DD no longer has a playroom boo-hoo-hoo ... that I took that away from her.  ???

SHORT VERSION :  my unfinished basement used to be a play area for DD - now I spent thousands of dollars to renovate/finish it into a storage, office and TV Room.  Where I don't want paint splatter, food spills, damage to my furniture or for it to become a wreck.  My mother tells me I'm mean for taking her play room away ... she's 9 - she spends most of her time watching TV and doing stuff in her room.

Do your kids have their own personal playroom ?  Do you agree with my mom ?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes...their bedrooms.  I have never understood the puropse for having a separate room for them to play in.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

They don't, but we have a small house with no extra rooms. I wouldn't make a special playroom for only 1 child, especially seeing as how she's already 9 years old. 

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Well that's the thing, I hate that I had to justify this to my mom.  I told my mom that it was understood when I bought the house that this was a temporary thing.  The TV room also doubles as a guest room as the sectional is also a sofabed.  DD spent 90% of her time in that room watching the TV, not playing.  The big TV went in her room where she has cable and her own DVD player, she spends a LOT of time in her room voluntarily.  She also gets use of the main living room and we will give it up "on request" if she wants to play Wii with her friends.  I really don't think she is to be pitied ! 

Quoting offrdngal:

Yes...their bedrooms.  I have never understood the puropse for having a separate room for them to play in.

37momofthree
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

My kids do but only because we have an extra bedroom because they prefer to sleep in the same room so the "spare room" has a tv and wii system and dressers that hold extra clothes and all their toys.  They are beginning to talk about wanting seperate bedrooms now so the play room might be a thing of the past.

mommybug77
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
No playroom here. I'm with you.
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM
EVERY ROOM is a play room here...but I would love love love to have to have a wreck room, and yes, I spelled that right ! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mari6443
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Same here. Although we did at the very first house we ever lived in.

Quoting diaperstodating:

No my kids don't have a separate playroom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM
We have a family room-- tv, couches, fort, and toys.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM

laughing 

Quoting hollydaze1974:

EVERY ROOM is a play room here...but I would love love love to have to have a wreck room, and yes, I spelled that right ! :-)

LuvmyAiden
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

My kids have a 10x16 playhouse in the back yard. It has it's own solar power electric system and all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)