Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dear God, protect me from your followers!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been doing a historical examination on the lives of the apostles Peter and Paul and also Mary Magdalene. I posted on my FB account that it was a very interesting read and that I felt a bit irritated that so many books were left out of the Bible. Just my opinion, but I felt that any letters written by or about the apostles regarding their works or the works they addressed about other apostles should've been put into the Bible for examination. I stated that I felt like I didn't get to exercise my free will in it's entirety because I only got a portion of what was allowed by man to be part of the collaborative works found in the Bible. Again, just stating my own opinion.

A "friend" on FB came back with a reply that in essence stated that the Bible was the decided Word of God and God left out what he felt shouldn't be in it and we should just accept it and not argue with it! It is all we need to have a relationship with him and we don't need anything that wasn't in it.

While I agree that it is essentially all we need for a relationship, I just wanted to study the books that were left out. That's all I was getting at. I wasn't attacking her faith, beliefs or anyone's, just studying. However, her combative response reminds me why I have panic attacks just thinking of going back to church to "fellowship" with the same people who assume I am going to hell for having been divorced.  I didn't attack anyone, but one of God's "followers" certainly attacked me and then churches wonder why they are seeing such a decline in numbers. SMH. I'm sure if someone's pastor stated that they were going to seminary and studying the books of the apostles that were not in the Bible, no one would attack them for studying them. But an ordinary person looking into it is a walking target for using the brain that God gave her....

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lslk
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. I have found that where I live that the most hypocritical people are the ones that go to church. I do not go to church for the simple fact that I do not want to be judged for what I have done in the past by (some) people who think they have the right to say weather I go to heaven or hell. Last I knew it wasn't up to them. I believe in God in my own way and will continue to do so. I do not need a building to this in.

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I agree with you 100% I know there are good churches out there. But they are few and far between. I also get sick of being judged for being divorced. It wasn't even my fault. I was trying to work on our marriage, while he was cheating on me and filling for divorce. But most churches don't care. It is sad that those who are supposed too show the most love and tolerance to people are the ones who are do judgmental and closed minded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM
5 moms liked this

funny how the most "religious" people tend to be the meanest and most judgemental ones ...

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

funny how the very religous are the meanest and most judgemental people ...

mamao3boys
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Good for you!  I think God wants us to look into things deeper.

As for the "friend", anywhere you go, you will encounter negative people, and people who will say you are going to hell.  My church is amazing, but there are still some people who say nasty things about me and my husband.  (He was a divorced single dad, I was a single mom who had her child out of wedlock, and have tattoos and piercings)  Then we met and got married withing 6 months, and dare I say, didn't do the "necessary" counceling?  Most people don't judge, but some do.  They are wrong, not you or I, or anyone else in this case.

God makes it clear we are not to judge, and I have gotten better at standing up for myself.  I tell the judgers that they are wrong to judge and quote the very bible we follow to prove that they are wrong.  Let me tell ya, nothing will shut someone up faster than calling them on their sins.  (Not that I like doing it, but you can't let them get away with tearing you down either)  Oh, the stories I could tell........

Keep up the research!  Have fun, share your knowledge, and do not let the judgers get to you.  They are just upset they didn't think of it first!

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Wow, ok, there are some books yes left out of the bible, as catholic, I learned that there are books that the Vatican even has that they refuse to release, not sure whats up with that or why. But her answer was kinda.....ancient and rude.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this
And this why free thinkers tend to leave organized religion. I believe in a higher power but not necessarily the God that others do.. especially not the judgemental hypocritical ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I have noticed this.  My SO's grandma is similar.

Quoting Jinxed8:

funny how the very religous are the meanest and most judgemental people ...

Rian33
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM
2 moms liked this

WOw! I think I may have posted the first religious topic that didn't start a war on here! lol. I posted it with bated breath since I have seen where religious postings can go on this site. Thanks so much for the support and encouragement ladies! I needed it as I stewed over this womans response to me most of the day.. Oh the things I wanted to reply back but I don't want to sink to that level so I gave her the southern kiss of death "well bless your heart." hahaha.  I wasn't about to throw at her that within 6 months of her husbands passing she was remarried, then two months later separated then divorced and is now engaged within 10 months of that divorce because what's the point? I don't think she would've gotten it anyway. All I wanted to really say is how exciting it is to look at the Bible from a historical viewpoint. I love history and this appealed to me so much! Good bad and ugly, the Bible has as much drama as any daytime soap so I'm gonna keep unearthing all I can! Hugs to all of you who replied.

QTMom2302
by Ami on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I completely agree w/ you. We actually stopped going to church because we were being judged by how we used our "free" time w/ our kids instead of at church doing church activities. Really? We don't see our kids 100% of the time like all the other couples in our young adult group do so we spend that time w/ our kids. I mean you think these other parents would understand that but they didn't. That was our breaking point w/ that church. I was thinking the same as some PP that it seems the most religious ones are also the most judgemental. DH's family is all atheist and you will never get any judgemental attitudes out of any of them. However, my family was raised on Christian beliefs and my parents (mom more so than dad) can be the biggest hypocrites and first to judge you for something you've done. 

I believe in God but I don't follow any particular religion. Not anymore. We've talked about going back for the kids but I can't bring myself to do it. Most of the time, when DD asks to go to church, I just see if she can spend the night w/ my parents and then go to church w/ them. Keeps me from having to go. ;o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)