Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Saving on Electric costs

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 17 Replies

I recently received my "home energy" report from the electric company that comes out like every 3 mths...  

Reading it is pretty funny ... I like when they tell me I am using 43% more electricity than my neighbors (I have a family of 5 and a lot of the homes on my block are only couples, some retired and 3 mid 20s who are not home all day ...) 

BUT... wondering on ways you save on electric costs... 

I do have 2 full refridgerators, 4 computers (only one stays plugged up all of the time, tvs in every room and on my outside lanai/patio, florescent bulbs that saves wattage, I leave my ceiling fans on because I feel it is cheaper to keep the house at a stable temperature than to run my central air on cold all day, I have a timer on my water heater, I do have a fish tank that is always running, use only cold water for laundry ..... IDK what else but... 5 bedrooms, 3 bths.... 

How do you save on costs?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizkit_fanky
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I dont really do much to save...I do make dd turn off the lights in her bedroom when she isnt in there....She thinks every light in the house needs to be on....Last month my bill was 147.00...This month it will probably be around 250.00

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Turn lights off when not in use
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I'm not really sure. Maybe keep the house a few degrees warmer.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Bump!
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I don't really do anything. We only have one computer and one refrigerator but we have 3 tv's that stay plugged all the time. The one in the living room stays on all the time. We use energy efficient bulbs but that's because it's all they have. I wash clothes a lot though. 

My bill is usually $215 on average. Summer it's higher and winter it's lower. 

mommieT
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

my bill came this month it was $119 my dh almost burst a blood vessel now he walks throught the house turning out all the lights in the halls, the kitchen, the bathroom, the dining room,and  the living room  and this is while we are all home still active in the house, as in after dinner but before bed time active three kids, two dogs, and a kitten in a dark house nope!!! not gonna happen. I don't have any ideas but i'm looking for some aswell before i have to smack him, right after i walk into a wall and stub my toe in the dark.

bizkit_fanky
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Mine is usually around 50.00 in the summer

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

my heating bill came in @ nearly $500 for 2 months BUT we have 1 full size fridge + 1 small pop fridge and 1 small chest freezer that are plugged in and running at all times.  4 TVs in the house, 2 computers, my husband has this nasty habit of always having to sleep with a fan on and so does my DD.   I wash with hot water because I just don't trust this new washer I have.  We also have a jacuzzi that we run all year long, we run the dishwasher every 2 days, we don't heat like crazy or leave un-neccesary lights on though...

wingmom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I have asked my husband to put up a laundry line outside to try to save but he has yet to do it. I also like the idea of spending more time outside in the fresh air and forcing my kid to do the same! :)

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Changed our lights to energy saving bulbs. That saved us $70 a month. We also got new windows upstairs. We knew they were old and were leaking. That really helped a ton.

Turning lights off when not in the room.

Turning the heater down at night.

Fans during the summer, instead or AC. Especially at night. I only turn the AC on during the day if really needed. When we leave the house I turn it off.

During the summer or nice days out in spring and fall. We air dry our cloths.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN