Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

The Phantom of the Opera

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 41 Replies

Have you seen it?  Screen or stage? Did you like it?  If you've seen both, which was better?

I've only seen the screen version and I keep hearing the stage version is so much better.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Platinum_Mommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I've only seen the screen version and it was ok but the book was better lol.

TTC2Long
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I've seen both. The stage show was amazing. The movie made me want to punch myself in the face.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM
The movie was a complete insult to the stage performance!
I've seen Phantom on stage and cried for the Phantom both times. I have the cd of the English stage performance and still get chills.

My husband bought me the movie, knowing I loved it so much. I watched the whole thing because he thought of me and was disgusted by the portrayal of the characters. The Phantom is supposed to be the antagonist, yes..... But in the original play/ then musical he was not the deranged character the movie portrayed. I found Raul and Christine to be the antagonists in the movie.

But the director of the movie wanted hatred of the Phantom immediately..., I've seen the silent version and even there, you felt sympathetic towards the phantom until the very end.
Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Saw it on broadway back in 2001. It was fantastic! 

Mireya926
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I have only seen the Screen version, I love it. I could just imagine how it is on stage.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I have never seen it.

TTC2Long
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM
The Phantom character is really a sad, pitiable one, not a deranged, cruel monster. I got SO impatient with watching Emmy Rossum make that damned wide-eyed, innocent, dazed expression and there were so many missed opportunities for creative use of all that film has to offer. Not that it should have been all technical and tricked out, but the stage show was far more creative. In the movie, they spent the whole first descent into his lair running down a freakin hallway with Emmy acting all dazed.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I've seen Phantom on stage and cried for the Phantom both times. I have the cd of the English stage performance and still get chills.

My husband bought me the movie, knowing I loved it so much. I watched the whole thing because he thought of me and was disgusted by the portrayal of the characters. The Phantom is supposed to be the antagonist, yes..... But in the original play/ then musical he was not the deranged character the movie portrayed. I found Raul and Christine to be the antagonists in the movie.

But the director of the movie wanted hatred of the Phantom immediately..., I've seen the silent version and even there, you felt sympathetic towards the phantom until the very end.
aj23
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM
The stage version is so much better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IHeartDraven
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I agree with the comments about the movie

The stage version is amazing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Agreed, The Phantom did not become
" deranged " until she ripped his mask off and then cringed " Damn you! Is this what you wanted to see? Damn you! ( Crying) Curse you!" On stage, you felt sadness almost pity for The Phantom and hated her. " I gave you my music...."

Movie version: you were never allowed to have sympathy for The Phantom, it just ruined the whole push/ pull love story.
It just changed the entire " feel" even though it was the same music.

Quoting TTC2Long:

The Phantom character is really a sad, pitiable one, not a deranged, cruel monster. I got SO impatient with watching Emmy Rossum make that damned wide-eyed, innocent, dazed expression and there were so many missed opportunities for creative use of all that film has to offer. Not that it should have been all technical and tricked out, but the stage show was far more creative. In the movie, they spent the whole first descent into his lair running down a freakin hallway with Emmy acting all dazed.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)