Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

i'm sick about our horrible school district...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 22 Replies

my son will be in kindergarten in august.  just found out for sure that he is zoned for a 6-rated school instead of the 8 i was hoping for.  we can't afford private school.  he is SOOO bright.  how do people deal with feeling like they're shortk-changing their kids?  my husband and i will uproot and move from CA back to the midwest if we have to for good public schools, but we can't do that for 3 or 4 years.  how much of a disadvantage will my kids be at by then?  

he enrolls in march.  i'm sick about this.  any thoughts on supplemental activities or programs to make up for california's abominable public school system?  

i'm going to go cry some more now.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would highly recommend following the series that starts with What your Kindergartener Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch. There is a book for each grade through 6th. It will be a great way to be sure your child is on track.

Perhaps the school has a gifted and talented program?

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I'm in CA too.  I don't know what our schools are rated around here.  I know they aren't the best but I know they aren't the worst either.  I homeschool.  Have you considered that for a few years?  Are there any charter schools around you?

christineT79
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Look into charter schools if you can & I've heard of some private schools having grants & programs for all kinds of incomes. I will be in the same boat in about 5 years since I live in a horrible city. I have to find a way to do private school & I have no idea how.

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM
5 moms liked this

I was really worried when my son started Kindergarten in a school that is not highly rated.  I'm in California too.

Then, I did some digging and found out that it's not the school or the teachers themselves, but the overall attitude towards education amongst the parents.  In fact, the school goes far beyond what I've seen other schools do to try and get the parents involved and really are amazing with their academics.  They have alot of programs other schools don't have to try and boost their students' academic scores.

But, if the parents don't make education a priority in their household, the children will fall behind.  It's sad really, and disheartening.

My son is thriving and has already mastered what he needs to know to move on to first grade.  His teacher sends more advanced homework home for him and incorporates that work into her daily lesson plans.  I'm sure no matter what school your son goes to, as long as you are involved and stressing the importance of school, that your son will do great as well.

pottymouthmommy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks!  that makes me feel better.  :-)

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I was really worried when my son started Kindergarten in a school that is not highly rated.  I'm in California too.

Then, I did some digging and found out that it's not the school or the teachers themselves, but the overall attitude towards education amongst the parents.  In fact, the school goes far beyond what I've seen other schools do to try and get the parents involved and really are amazing with their academics.  They have alot of programs other schools don't have to try and boost their students' academic scores.

But, if the parents don't make education a priority in their household, the children will fall behind.  It's sad really, and disheartening.

My son is thriving and has already mastered what he needs to know to move on to first grade.  His teacher sends more advanced homework home for him and incorporates that work into her daily lesson plans.  I'm sure no matter what school your son goes to, as long as you are involved and stressing the importance of school, that your son will do great as well.

pottymouthmommy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM

i know there's a few charter schools close by.  i will look into that.  do they start as early as kindergarten, though or does it depend?

Quoting christineT79:

Look into charter schools if you can & I've heard of some private schools having grants & programs for all kinds of incomes. I will be in the same boat in about 5 years since I live in a horrible city. I have to find a way to do private school & I have no idea how.

pottymouthmommy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM

i actually have a teaching credential that i have yet to use (first-born was unplanned during the program), but i come from a long line of public school teachers.  i've thought about homeschooling--moms/dads who are disciplined enough to do it have my respect for sure--but i just don't think it's for me.  funny how homeschooling was unheard of during my midwest upbringing, but come to crappy-school capitol CA, and lots of people are committing to their kids to do it.  awesome.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I'm in CA too.  I don't know what our schools are rated around here.  I know they aren't the best but I know they aren't the worst either.  I homeschool.  Have you considered that for a few years?  Are there any charter schools around you?

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

This This This, and I used to be a teacher.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

slightlyperfect

christineT79
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Quoting pottymouthmommy:

i know there's a few charter schools close by.  i will look into that.  do they start as early as kindergarten, though or does it depend?

Quoting christineT79:

I'm pretty sure the charter schools start as early as kindergarden because the ones that I know of start at kindergarden. It might vary depending on where you live though. Good luck :)

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

This may not be for your son, but have you looked into cyber schools? I used to be a cyber-school teacher. Some of those kids really fit right in with it.

Quoting pottymouthmommy:

i actually have a teaching credential that i have yet to use (first-born was unplanned during the program), but i come from a long line of public school teachers.  i've thought about homeschooling--moms/dads who are disciplined enough to do it have my respect for sure--but i just don't think it's for me.  funny how homeschooling was unheard of during my midwest upbringing, but come to crappy-school capitol CA, and lots of people are committing to their kids to do it.  awesome.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)