Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

i'm sick about our horrible school district...

my son will be in kindergarten in august.  just found out for sure that he is zoned for a 6-rated school instead of the 8 i was hoping for.  we can't afford private school.  he is SOOO bright.  how do people deal with feeling like they're shortk-changing their kids?  my husband and i will uproot and move from CA back to the midwest if we have to for good public schools, but we can't do that for 3 or 4 years.  how much of a disadvantage will my kids be at by then?  

he enrolls in march.  i'm sick about this.  any thoughts on supplemental activities or programs to make up for california's abominable public school system?  

i'm going to go cry some more now.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Apr1l
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Inter district transfer or k12.com?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Yeah it's quite normal here.  I know more homeschooled kids than public school kids!  I actually know somebody who was a firm believer in public school until her son started.  She went and observed his class everyday and just wasn't happy so now she homeschools.  We go through a charter homeschool program so it takes some of the pressure off of me.

But it's not for everybody.  Good luck in your hunt!  I hope you find just the right option for you and your son.

Quoting pottymouthmommy:

i actually have a teaching credential that i have yet to use (first-born was unplanned during the program), but i come from a long line of public school teachers.  i've thought about homeschooling--moms/dads who are disciplined enough to do it have my respect for sure--but i just don't think it's for me.  funny how homeschooling was unheard of during my midwest upbringing, but come to crappy-school capitol CA, and lots of people are committing to their kids to do it.  awesome.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I'm in CA too.  I don't know what our schools are rated around here.  I know they aren't the best but I know they aren't the worst either.  I homeschool.  Have you considered that for a few years?  Are there any charter schools around you?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
godsgirl26
by ♥Charmaine♥ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I'm in Cali also. I'm so glad i took my kids out of public school

cupomeow
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I live in MO,you will have to check what it is like  in CA. So, as part of the NCLB act there is something called 'school choice'. It has to do with each individual school's test scores. AYP(annual yearly progress) is based on whether the school passed certain guidelines on their standardized testing in math and communication arts. We have the MAP test here. If one school makes their AYP and another school does not then you child can go to the better scoring school as long as you are able to provide transportation. I will give you an example. School A makes their AYP, they brought their test scores up to the level required to be considered a 'choice school'. School B did not make AYP, they either failed in math and co. arts or just one but they did not have the score to make AYP, so they are not a choice school. So you can send your child to the A school, even though you live in the B boundaries. If you go to the CA dept. of education website and type in AYP, it should link you to the previous years test score for both the school he is to attend and the school you want him to attend.

pottymouthmommy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Thanks so much for this. I emailed the principal of the school where I would like him to attend and she gave me a step by step guideline as to how to make this happen. There's still no guarantee but there are things I can do to put up a fight. And she put my mind at ease telling me that both her school and the school that I don't want him to go to are both actually great schools. I'm feeling a little better now!

Quoting cupomeow:

I live in MO,you will have to check what it is like  in CA. So, as part of the NCLB act there is something called 'school choice'. It has to do with each individual school's test scores. AYP(annual yearly progress) is based on whether the school passed certain guidelines on their standardized testing in math and communication arts. We have the MAP test here. If one school makes their AYP and another school does not then you child can go to the better scoring school as long as you are able to provide transportation. I will give you an example. School A makes their AYP, they brought their test scores up to the level required to be considered a 'choice school'. School B did not make AYP, they either failed in math and co. arts or just one but they did not have the score to make AYP, so they are not a choice school. So you can send your child to the A school, even though you live in the B boundaries. If you go to the CA dept. of education website and type in AYP, it should link you to the previous years test score for both the school he is to attend and the school you want him to attend.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in Rocklin CA but we have lived in other states too. I will tell you therevare some schools that don't test high mainly due to more ESL students or other special needs programs they have. My son has an IEP but his scores are still avg in for example.
I have had some awesome teachers in CA... better than the ones we had in AZ and UT... so don't judge by scores alone. Like someone else said be an involved parent, get to know the teachers and the principal. You may be happily surprised.

Quoting pottymouthmommy:

Thanks so much for this. I emailed the principal of the school where I would like him to attend and she gave me a step by step guideline as to how to make this happen. There's still no guarantee but there are things I can do to put up a fight. And she put my mind at ease telling me that both her school and the school that I don't want him to go to are both actually great schools. I'm feeling a little better now!

Quoting cupomeow:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM

read read read!

i am going to supplement my boys math with singapore math. they are now in the 2nd and 3rd grade, and i fear that at this rate, they will not make it through calculus in high school (they do very well in school, i just don't think the school sets the bar high enough.)

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM

oh yeah i'm in the midwest the school my preschooler attends has a mold problem

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Schedule a conference with the teacher, tell her your concerns, be very friendly and non-critical ,get her on your side. She can give him some more work to keep him challenged.

unsuspected
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in California too. You can go to your district and ask about "school of choice" if your school is testing poorly enough they HAVE to let you choose a different school. That's how I did it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)