Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

i'm sick about our horrible school district...

my son will be in kindergarten in august.  just found out for sure that he is zoned for a 6-rated school instead of the 8 i was hoping for.  we can't afford private school.  he is SOOO bright.  how do people deal with feeling like they're shortk-changing their kids?  my husband and i will uproot and move from CA back to the midwest if we have to for good public schools, but we can't do that for 3 or 4 years.  how much of a disadvantage will my kids be at by then?  

he enrolls in march.  i'm sick about this.  any thoughts on supplemental activities or programs to make up for california's abominable public school system?  

i'm going to go cry some more now.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (21-22):
unsuspected
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Chartered honeschool ... do you have more information on that?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yeah it's quite normal here.  I know more homeschooled kids than public school kids!  I actually know somebody who was a firm believer in public school until her son started.  She went and observed his class everyday and just wasn't happy so now she homeschools.  We go through a charter homeschool program so it takes some of the pressure off of me.

But it's not for everybody.  Good luck in your hunt!  I hope you find just the right option for you and your son.

Quoting pottymouthmommy:

i actually have a teaching credential that i have yet to use (first-born was unplanned during the program), but i come from a long line of public school teachers.  i've thought about homeschooling--moms/dads who are disciplined enough to do it have my respect for sure--but i just don't think it's for me.  funny how homeschooling was unheard of during my midwest upbringing, but come to crappy-school capitol CA, and lots of people are committing to their kids to do it.  awesome.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I'm in CA too.  I don't know what our schools are rated around here.  I know they aren't the best but I know they aren't the worst either.  I homeschool.  Have you considered that for a few years?  Are there any charter schools around you?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
What do you want to know? Where in ca are you? Different ones work different ways.

Quoting unsuspected:

Chartered honeschool ... do you have more information on that?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yeah it's quite normal here.  I know more homeschooled kids than public school kids!  I actually know somebody who was a firm believer in public school until her son started.  She went and observed his class everyday and just wasn't happy so now she homeschools.  We go through a charter homeschool program so it takes some of the pressure off of me.

But it's not for everybody.  Good luck in your hunt!  I hope you find just the right option for you and your son.

Quoting pottymouthmommy:

i actually have a teaching credential that i have yet to use (first-born was unplanned during the program), but i come from a long line of public school teachers.  i've thought about homeschooling--moms/dads who are disciplined enough to do it have my respect for sure--but i just don't think it's for me.  funny how homeschooling was unheard of during my midwest upbringing, but come to crappy-school capitol CA, and lots of people are committing to their kids to do it.  awesome.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I'm in CA too.  I don't know what our schools are rated around here.  I know they aren't the best but I know they aren't the worst either.  I homeschool.  Have you considered that for a few years?  Are there any charter schools around you?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)