Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My 6 yr old hit a classmate in the face today

Posted by   + Show Post
I got a call from the principal today. My little girl hit another first grader in the face and I have no idea how to handle it. I have done the basics like time out and taking dessert and nothing seems to work for her. I refuse to raise a bratty kid and need some advice. She has dance class later today but I hesitate to withhold activities as punishment because I don't want to end up using this punishment on a regular basis (say with sports or clubs or something) and punishing her team because of her absence. Any suggestions or (nice) comments about withholding activities?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Replies (21-23):
cheerwin
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Update:  We are using a calendar/sticker reward system that is working.  I set attainable goals based on daily behavior. Their teacher is onboard and I get a note everyday with either positive checkmarks or negative checkmarks.  If there are negative I get an explaination.  Their reward is a mommy and me night or grandma and me night depending on the week's rotation.  It seems to work fairly well.  Sometimes they falter a bit and I get a bad report, but we haven't missed our special evenings yet.  Thanks for all of the advice! 

ame0608
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I'm just now pregnant with my first, and this message board is quite the education! Thanks for sharing this quandry and all the options. I'm taking notes :)

michellemomx3
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM

It truly sounds like you have a wonderful little girl that just made a mistake and is smart enough to know that what she did was wrong and will not be tollerated.  I would make sure she fully understands that if the behavior does continue that she will lose out on her gymnastics class as punishment.  If she does it again, by all means follow through with your threat.

I have had this same problem with my son.  I have spoken with him about boundaries and keeping his hands to himself.  Followed up with a good talk (done while doing a big long art project) about "do unto others..." I hate to say it's normal behavior, but it is.  As long as you communicate with her and help her figure out different options on how to handle an annoying peer you are doing a great job as a mom. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN