Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

When did you know you were done having kids??

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 51 Replies

I have 2 girls and always wanted at least 3 kids but after 2 miscarriages and my youngest nearing 3 yrs old, I am just not sure if I want to start back at diapers again or that they would be over 3 yrs apart between my youngest and my third.  I will also be turning 35 and having already had 2 miscarriages since conceiving my 2 beautiful girls, maybe it just isnt in the cards for me after the 2 failed attempts. 

How did you know it was over for you, if it wasnt really a medical issue that caused its end?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Before we were married, DH and I agreed that we wanted "5 by 30".  Because of issues with secondary infertility....our forth baby was not born until a month after I turned 29 (and it took us years to get pregnant with him).  We decided to start ttc as soon as my doc gave us the "all clear".  We decided that if I wasn't pregnant by my 30th birthday, we would discuss how long we were willing to ttc.  We were happily surprised to get pregnant pretty much right away and our fifth child was born a month after my 30th birthday.

BUT...I will admit....even after having our fifth baby and even though I was already at our 30 year old cut-off point....we had many discussions about if we were surly 'done' or not.  We decided to use the same 'test' to decide if we are really done that we used each time we were debating when the right time was to ttc.....while all sitting at the dinner table together - does the family feel complete? Or does it feel like someone is missing?  

MisfitDoll
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:37 AM

When I had my tubes tied!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I still see another little one.  I really see a little boy in my life.  Im used to not getting what I want though  : /

Quoting TableforSeven:

Before we were married, DH and I agreed that we wanted "5 by 30".  Because of issues with secondary infertility....our forth baby was not born until a month after I turned 29 (and it took us years to get pregnant with him).  We decided to start ttc as soon as my doc gave us the "all clear".  We decided that if I wasn't pregnant by my 30th birthday, we would discuss how long we were willing to ttc.  We were happily surprised to get pregnant pretty much right away and our fifth child was born a month after my 30th birthday.

BUT...I will admit....even after having our fifth baby and even though I was already at our 30 year old cut-off point....we had many discussions about if we were surly 'done' or not.  We decided to use the same 'test' to decide if we are really done that we used each time we were debating when the right time was to ttc.....while all sitting at the dinner table together - does the family feel complete? Or does it feel like someone is missing?  

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM
When my doctor said no more c-sections.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BellaByrdie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I have two and nearly died with my second one. The doctor said no more babies for me. And with two under two I was good for awhile. But then when thy were 4 & 5 my clock kinda began ticking again. I still kinda want more. But now that my girls are turning 8 & 9 this year I don't think we will adopt either. I will just have to wait till my best friend has a baby that I can be aunt to and get all my fill of sweet baby that way. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Before, during and after I was pregnant with my son. 

I didn't want kids ( I am not a fan of babies...I enjoy them more once they can start doing things for themselves), then I got pregnant.  I didn't enjoy being pregnant.  I love my son to pieces, but I won't ever do that again.

BridgeEbb
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:47 AM

We just can not afford any more kids.  We have three and want to be able to send them to college and do family vacations and still pay our mortgage.  So I got my tubes tied when I had a csection with my youngest.

Mommy980106
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:50 AM
I knew after our 3rd child was done. If you have doubts, keep the possibility open.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnmommy5
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

After my twins were born. They were # 4 & 5 for me and my body couldn't do it again. Don't worry about the age difference. My oldest are 3 1/2 years apart. There are 9 1/2 years between # 2 & 3 and then 2 years later I had my twins. So there is almost 15 years between my oldest and youngest and I wouldn't have it any other way.

JWhite27
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:

I have 2 girls and always wanted at least 3 kids but after 2 miscarriages and my youngest nearing 3 yrs old, I am just not sure if I want to start back at diapers again or that they would be over 3 yrs apart between my youngest and my third.  I will also be turning 35 and having already had 2 miscarriages since conceiving my 2 beautiful girls, maybe it just isnt in the cards for me after the 2 failed attempts. 

How did you know it was over for you, if it wasnt really a medical issue that caused its end?

I knew i was done after my 3rd. When ur done you know, its just that easy.I couldnt think of a reason i would want another kid. If your not sure ur done then ur not. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN