Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Flu shot?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 16 Replies

Just wondering how everyone feels about getting your kids the flu shot. I have not done it, myself. I hear too many negatives about it. However, it's scary hearing about all the children's deaths this season. What do you think?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleysmommy123
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I didn't get it myself or for my DD......part of me questions if I should have but so far we have been healthy...so hoping we stay that way!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM

We've all gotten them in the past with no ill effects. We don't get them every year. The only one that got one this year was my husband through work. Our 7 y/o had the flu and strep at the same time in December. He was put on Tamiflu and an antibiotic.

MamaDearie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

All of my kids get the flu shot every year. No one has ever had any negative reaction whatsoever- and no one has gotten the flu.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Rosalind2012
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Wow! Was he alright? Did it take him long to get over it? I just heard about an 8 year old here in Ontario who got the flu and strep at the same time, and didn't make it. I wonder what the exact side effect is that makes this dangerous? Do you know?

Quoting mumsy2three:

We've all gotten them in the past with no ill effects. We don't get them every year. The only one that got one this year was my husband through work. Our 7 y/o had the flu and strep at the same time in December. He was put on Tamiflu and an antibiotic.

mushmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I hesitated with my youngest as she's just two but ultimately (once it became obvious that this season is bad) changed my mind and she's had her first and goes in two weeks for the second if it's available.  Myself, dh and our almost 5 yr old all have been vax'd.  None of us have ever had the flu but I hear getting is once is enough so anything we can do to lessen our chances, even if it's only 60% effective.

christineT79
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I got the flu shot for the first time this year because I have a 5 month old baby & I'm breastfeeding, I wanted her to get the antibodies. It's really bad in my city & people are dying. I didnt have any problem with the vaccine.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I got it for myself but not the kids. I haven't heard anything bad about it...but then I didn't really research it either. 

There is no reason why I didn't get it for them other than the fact that by the time I realized it was this bad their pedi didn't have anymore. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Never have, never will. It's never been a problem either, other than when I had a bout with H1N1 when it was first breaking out on the west coast because a patient literally coughed on me while I was trying to take her chest x-ray. 

Mimee1971
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Hello, my first dealing with the flu shot was 15 months ago when my son (1st child) was born.  Basically i had never gotten a flu shot before and did once he was born.  From an infant point of view, there is 1 out of every 100 newborns that die from the flu each year.  So this is what motivated me to getting one.  I was just fine afterwards.  My Husband is a paramedic for over 22 years and has gotten one that long, no problems for him either.  I probabaly will continue the flu shot for myself and my son in the future.  Even though I hear some don't prevent certain flu strains from happening, i still don't think i want to take the chance.  This is just my opionion.  Take care :)

MrsImperfect
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM
No one has ever gotten the shot and no one has ever gotten the flu in this house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN