Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Weight Loss Ideas.....

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 35 Replies

OK so here is the thing I have PCOS, it messes with my ovulation and testosterone levels and it makes losing weight really hard. When I came back from Iraq 6 years ago I was 140lbs (I am 5'4") I am now (omg I can't believe I am going to tell you the actual number) 210 lbs (I am so embarrassed) I have talked with people and gotten lots advice, I was told to eat low carb diet or not to eat wheat, and well I have even told to do HCG, then a friend told me about fastin, said it really worked. My biggest fear is losing to much weight to fast and having hanging skin. I am currently puting more fruits and veggies, I also am trying to drink more water. My work out is chasing my two younger kids and cleaning all day then when my husband get home from work we all go for a 1 mile walk. No one else in my family is over weight and we all eat the same thing, so I guess my question for you ladies is what have you tried did it work or not work???

Thank you ladies I value your advice!!!!

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I do not believe in "dieting". You just need to eat smaller portions (most people easily eat 2x what is an actual serving size). And excercise. The fad diets are a quick fix but temporary. It is better to change your way of life and make it about being healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.Fleury
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat. Gained weight after a major surgery. So my husband and I are doing Lose It, it's an app on iPhone, iPod, iPad. Anyhow, you log in your information and what you want to be and it gets you on the right path. We started this a few days ago and I'm already down 2lbs.

Good luck hun
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
irishmommy81
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Thats what I am trying to do but there is so much out there on what you should eat and what you shouldn't how do you know which is the best, some people say gluten is bad, others say that if you eat to much fruit it can be harmful because of the sugars. I guess what I am asking is what is working for you and why you picked that path.

Quoting conniejo75:

I do not believe in "dieting". You just need to eat smaller portions (most people easily eat 2x what is an actual serving size). And excercise. The fad diets are a quick fix but temporary. It is better to change your way of life and make it about being healthy.

irishmommy81
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Thanks I have the iphone so I will look the app up.

Quoting C.Fleury:

I'm kinda in the same boat. Gained weight after a major surgery. So my husband and I are doing Lose It, it's an app on iPhone, iPod, iPad. Anyhow, you log in your information and what you want to be and it gets you on the right path. We started this a few days ago and I'm already down 2lbs.

Good luck hun

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Glueten is only bad for you if you have food allergy. My dietician told me there is no "bad" food just ones you should eat sparingly. Everything in moderation.

Quoting irishmommy81:

Thats what I am trying to do but there is so much out there on what you should eat and what you shouldn't how do you know which is the best, some people say gluten is bad, others say that if you eat to much fruit it can be harmful because of the sugars. I guess what I am asking is what is working for you and why you picked that path.

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaybay218
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I zumba and Insanity my pounds off..best work outs ever and I eat what I want!

Tyger88
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Doctor told me my cholestrol & sugar is way too high. I cut Red Meat & All white food (sugar, white flour & white rice etc.) in 2 weeks lost 6 lbs with smaller potions & eating regularly every 3 hrs something. keeps my sugar regular w/o sugar cravings.Water, water & water the Best beauty Aid there is IMO. I also added Fiber to make me feel full longer also.. Oatmeal, Cheerios, Metamucil to get my cholesterol down.  Good Luck & Be strong

ardiaxe
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried the pill to level out your hormones? 

A very good diet for PCOS is a vegetarian diet, do you think that you can cut meat out from your diet?  Always have water in your hand, many times when hunger strikes you are usually thirsty, so be sure you are always full on water.

Eat plenty of protein plus fiber foods such as beans. Don't reduce food, just make smarter choices, start every meal with a soup and salad, let water be your only beverage.  

ashlet01
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Look into clean eating, there is a great book by Tosca Reno. Also add strength training to your workout.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Have you discussed weight loss ideas/options with your doctor or a dietitian? I don't know much about PCOS but have heard it can be very difficult to take weight off b/c of it.

I lost weight by portion control and keeping a food journal where I tracked amount of food I ate and calories. I didn't cut any thing from my menu. If I wanted a cookie I ate it and wrote it in my book, no cheating.  I also exercised 5x/wk. If I couldn't get outside, I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and Leslie Sansone's walk at home dvds as well as yoga. I would try to mix it up so I didn't get bored. I used Sparkpeople and was a member of the Healthy weight loss group here on CM.

Another thing that worked for me was making smaller goals to reach, instead of saying I am losing 25 lbs. start with losing 3 or 5, once you meet that goal go for another 5 and so on until you reach the weight you want to be at. Good luck~ you can do this :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)