Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Blech - enough buggie-boos already!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM
  • 8 Replies

**sigh**  I just got back from the vet with DS#1's cat -- she has worms.  Nothing serious, just needs two treatments of deworming pills....and we're doing two treatments on our other cat as well to be safe.

We already dealt with fleas -- same cat (didn't realize fleas can cause worms, or would have gotten her the deworming stuff when the fleas appeared).

We also just dealt with three of the kids having lice!  

Blech!  We never dealt with ANY of these things before moving here.  

The cats were (and still are) indoor only.  But there are strays everywhere....including climbing up right outside windows while our cats lay on the other side of the screens.  So I need to stay really on-top of flea treatments.

And the kids were always able to avoid the outbreaks of lice in their schools in the states....that was pure luck, I suppose.

I admit that I need a break from all these buggie-boos......but I am still insanely happy with living here and am glad we moved.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommybug77
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Yuck :(
christineT79
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM

That stinks. I'm a vet tech & have been for the past 15 years. I work at a cat hospital. Both fleas & worms suck. They can become costly when you have multiple cats or dogs. I would recomend Revolution for the cats since it treats & prevents fleas & worms. It's a topical flea treatment but is the only one on the market that also prevents & treats worms too. It's a good idea when you have kids because kids tend to touch the animals & then put their hands in their mouths. Roundworms in children can cause blindness :(. Just thought I'd share. Good luck hun.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Quoting christineT79:

That stinks. I'm a vet tech & have been for the past 15 years. I work at a cat hospital. Both fleas & worms suck. They can become costly when you have multiple cats or dogs. I would recomend Revolution for the cats since it treats & prevents fleas & worms. It's a topical flea treatment but is the only one on the market that also prevents & treats worms too. It's a good idea when you have kids because kids tend to touch the animals & then put their hands in their mouths. Roundworms in children can cause blindness :(. Just thought I'd share. Good luck hun.

Thanks for the info.  I haven't seen Revolution here....options are limited in our town and I can't deal with importing pet meds.  We'll use what the vet recommends and sells.

Thankfully my kids are older, so their hand rarely go into their mouths and they wash well before meals. :-)

Hopefully we won't have to deal with this stuff too often.  Though with the strays so close, we have to be vigilant.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Is that by Rx only? We have indoor cat too but he still got fleas this last yr. We seem to have treated the fleas effectively but after reading this i am worried about worms. Yuck.

Quoting christineT79:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting christineT79:

Thanks for the info.  I haven't seen Revolution here....options are limited in our town and I can't deal with importing pet meds.  We'll use what the vet recommends and sells.

Thankfully my kids are older, so their hand rarely go into their mouths and they wash well before meals. :-)

Hopefully we won't have to deal with this stuff too often.  Though with the strays so close, we have to be vigilant.

I'm dealing with the same issue. I just moved a few months ago & my dog got fleas for the first time in 10 years. I was shocked. I also think it's from all the strays in the area. There are so many stray cats where I am. It's a pain in the butt but I can say that the fleas are so much easier to treat than even 10 years ago. Thank god for those topical flea meds like Frontline, Advantage, Revolution etc. I remember doing those terrible flea dips. Try that on a cat. lol. It's also great that they now sell those over the counter like at petstores. You can save money that way instead of buying it from your vet. The only one that isnt over the counter is Revolution because it has heartworm preventative in it which is prescription. It's a shame you cant get it online from Pet-Meds or somthing :( The pills that you got are fine & will work but it wont prevent the worms from coming back. I guess just keep an eye on their poops, if you see any worms that look like rice (tape-worms) or like spaghetti (roundworms) just give your vet a call for a refill.  

christineT79
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Quoting conniejo75:

Is that by Rx only? We have indoor cat too but he still got fleas this last yr. We seem to have treated the fleas effectively but after reading this i am worried about worms. Yuck.

Quoting christineT79:

Yeah, Revolution is rx only because it contains a heartworm preventative. All heartworm drugs have to go through a vet. If your cat has been seen in the past year by a vet you can get a written script for it & fax it into petmeds. I really love Revolution for cats because it covers everything (fleas, intestinal parasites, heartworm & ear mites). The only thing that scares me with dogs & cats is the intestinal parasites can be contagious to people, kids in particular because they tend to touch the pets then put their hands in their mouths.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM
He was seen last march when we adopted him to get fixed and any shots. I will havevto look around for a vet close to home. Thank you!

Quoting christineT79:

Quoting conniejo75:

Quoting christineT79:

Yeah, Revolution is rx only because it contains a heartworm preventative. All heartworm drugs have to go through a vet. If your cat has been seen in the past year by a vet you can get a written script for it & fax it into petmeds. I really love Revolution for cats because it covers everything (fleas, intestinal parasites, heartworm & ear mites). The only thing that scares me with dogs & cats is the intestinal parasites can be contagious to people, kids in particular because they tend to touch the pets then put their hands in their mouths.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting conniejo75:

He was seen last march when we adopted him to get fixed and any shots. I will havevto look around for a vet close to home. Thank you!

Quoting christineT79:

Quoting conniejo75:

Quoting christineT79:

You could always call that vet & ask them to mail u a written rx or call one of the mail order vet pharmacies. As long as the vet saw your kitty within a year they will fill it. Good luck with the little critters. lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)