Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Driving me nuts!!!! It's raining out and he is whaling like gremlins are attacking him! It's not even a huge storm! There is very little thunder/lightning going on....I put him on the back porch because his overly-loud barking is hurting my ears and now he's knocking stuff down as he yells! Seriously! I'm already not feeling well and my nerves can't handle it!!! What is a girl to do?

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Replies (11-19):
frstldyhmsch
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Hilarious!....it's always the little one's that are tough

Quoting wingsfan1234:

yeah the one my mom has now is a pure bred Rot!!  biggest baby ever.. everyone is afraid because he's huge yet it's my tiny chihauhau we have to watch!  lol .. we finally got him to where he'll go hid down in the laundry room (unless the washer is on of course)

Quoting frstldyhmsch:

Ya know I kinda wish he was small, It be easier to make him comfy, but he's HUGE! That's what really gets to me...I'm like, dude you're a huge woosie! LOL

Quoting wingsfan1234:

oh boy do I know what you're going through!!  I'm not sure why buy my mom always seems to pick the dogs that are like that ever since I was a baby!!!  the one she has now literally howls at anything that even remotely sounds like rain its CRAZY even the shower being turned on he starts his howling/barking deal 

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Quoting frstldyhmsch:

give him a drink..lol.. u need go cet get them pills..i have a pit mix and she is a big bay to..
Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM

If you've ever had a phobia you would know how terrified he is, let him in, and pet him and talk to him.  distract him, and yes, get him medication for future storms.

KylesMom409
I have no idea how DH handles what's going on with his health. He's been diabetic for 21 years and now he has celiac disease. :(
Sunday at 8:59 PM
by Linnette on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Go to the vet for doggie Prozac. My parents had to give it to one of dogs when it was thundering or for fireworks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frstldyhmsch
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM

True and agree.  I do have a heart and I love my doggie, but petting him does not work either. He does not wanna hear you talking to him, he totally zones out into another world. He's old & set in his ways and needs prozac. I'm on meds right now that make me really tired & it's hard to deal with at this moment, but I've been dealing with it for years.

Quoting Poosaloosa:

If you've ever had a phobia you would know how terrified he is, let him in, and pet him and talk to him.  distract him, and yes, get him medication for future storms.

Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

The medication may be the only option if petting him won't work. Usually rubbing a dogs ears and calm talking helps a lot. but not always.

Quoting frstldyhmsch:

True and agree.  I do have a heart and I love my doggie, but petting him does not work either. He does not wanna hear you talking to him, he totally zones out into another world. He's old & set in his ways and needs prozac. I'm on meds right now that make me really tired & it's hard to deal with at this moment, but I've been dealing with it for years.

Quoting Poosaloosa:

CollinBayleeMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM

What about this?  I've never used one, but have heard that they really work.

http://www.thundershirt.com/HowItWorks/

christineT79
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a vet tech & have been for 15 years. A lot of dogs have anxiety during thunder storms & fire works. It's super common. Call your vet & ask for meds. They can prescribe zanax or valum to be used on an as needed basis. The prozac is somthing that you would give everyday & is for dogs with severe seperation anxiety not thunderstorm & firework anxiety. Baby aspirin is not needed because that is for pain not anxiety. You can also try benedryl, it's very safe & can make him sleepy. Some dogs respond to benedryl because it just makes them sleep through the thunderstorm. You can give an adult dose of Benedryl to a large dog (100 lbs).

CollinBayleeMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I would personally save the meds/drugs as a LAST resort (not saying that you, OP, or anyone here just automatically gives meds).  I would try the Thundershirt or get a tight-fitting shirt for the dog to wear during storms/fireworks/whatever else causes them anxiety.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)